Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Need a bigger barn, can't hit a small one

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 10:57 PM
Bronze Member

Need a bigger barn, can't hit a small one

Help? Bought a used Mark 5 240 WBY Deluxe and can not get it to shot less than three inch groups at a hundred yards with random groups, shot off a rest.
  • I have tried 85 and 100 grain with nominal changes from both factory and reloads.
  • Check the bases and mounts at least 4 times.
  • Swapped scopes
  • Checked the stock screws (wood stock)
It has the quick release Talley rings and bases, wood stock, 24 inch barrel. First scope was a new Trijicon, second was a recent rebuilt Leupold.

So I was going to start by having the stock bedded? Is there a better choice and what am I missing?
Old 09-28-2011, 05:30 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Need a bigger barn, can't hit a small one

I assume you started with a properly cleaned barrel?

Are you trying one type of ammo or how many?

I'd agree with bedding it. Check the trigger pull too and adjust as needed. Check the condition of the crown to be sure it looks clean and without any burrs.

I have a rifle that I've done all of these and tried 5 types of ammo, and it still gets the same results you have. Once I finish getting all of my handloading equipment I'm just going to have to work up a load for it because there isn't a factory load yet that it likes. Yours may be the same.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:56 AM
Platinum Member

Assuming you thoroughly cleaned it.....I wouldn't waste much more time and money till I SAW the insides of that barrel. Know anyone who has a borescope? The 240 Weatherby isn't known for long life, it could be a shot out barrel.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Gold Member

As I read your post a few questions come to mind:

Was there a wind issue?
Is the barrel floated?
Do you have a consistent rest?

I had the same issue with a .243 Rem 700. Couldn't get but about 3" groups at 100yds. I wanted to shoot the heaviest bullets I could find, so I was using the 100grs. I developed a load with 85gr. bullets to make it easier on my 9 year old, and lo and behold, she shot very very well. My first inclination would be to try a different weight bullet, but since you have done that already, I'm kinda stumped.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZShooter View Post
Assuming you thoroughly cleaned it.....I wouldn't waste much more time and money till I SAW the insides of that barrel. Know anyone who has a borescope? The 240 Weatherby isn't known for long life, it could be a shot out barrel.
Absolutely.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZShooter View Post
In almost every instance folks who think a tube is "shot out" is just really fouled severely. Have looked at too many with a bore scope that proved that one. Buddy of mines dad had one that he thought was that way but it was just 30 years of build up that he SWORE was not there!!

Know you do not want to hear this but a friend of mine has one in a composite stock that shoots lights out! He has never used anything but factory ammo and it shoots once a year .75 everytime we put it on paper. He is not the best shot in the world either but his little rifle will shoot..

Last edited by Boss Hoss; 09-29-2011 at 08:44 AM.