Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Need a barrel, a smith and some direction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 03:59 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Need a barrel, a smith and some direction

str8shoot, I know all these decisions are hard, so I'll throw out one more idea. I had the 7mm mag for lots of years. I like the 7mm bullets. And the one that always caught my attention was the .280 Ackley Improved. I'm having my old 700 Rem done right now, but I didn't need the long range elk rifle so I went a different way. One thing to ask the 'smith is changing the bolt face, whatever way you go. Good luck on the build.

-- gr8whyt
Old 02-02-2011, 11:34 AM
Silver Member

Yeah I would go 280AI for sure if I had a standard bolt face. I think I'll just stick with the 7mag, it has served me well and to change cartridges will cost me money in guages, dies, and components that I already have. I think I would rather put the extra money towards upgrading the glass than changing cartridges.
So there is one big decision made, it'll stay a 7mag.

Now I am trying to decide if I want to stay with the H-S sporter stock or go with a laminate. I was looking at the Bobby Hart long range stocks on stocky's. They are about a pound heavier than my H-S stock. They are made for a varmint/sendero contour. If I went with a fluted sendero contour it would add another half pound or so, or would a #5 contour work in that stock? I guess i'm wondering if that pound and a half or so would be worth it. It would make it into more of an all out long range rifle, but would get left behind on more mountain hunts do to the weight. What do you guys think, my H-S sporter, or a long range laminate? I have 3 rifles in H-S stocks and like them but have never had a laminate.

Gunwalker, tell me about your 6.5-06. What all did you have Rocky do. What action and stock did you go with. How was Rocky to work with? I prefer to spend my money locally and would save a lot on shipping and ffl transactions.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:23 PM
Bronze Member

http://s812.photobucket.com/albums/zz41/slow04_photos/?action=view&current=DSCF0718.jpg

This is the gun he built for me. It is a Howa 1500 action with a Timney trigger. I had Rocky chamber and install a Shilen select match grade barrel in a 6.5-06AI. It is a #6 contour and 26" long. The gun is on a hybrid Axiom stock, the front half of the stock is solid machined aluminum, and from the pistol grip back was a prototype. On top it has a Vortex Viper. This gun turned out really heavy, heavier than I expected. The #6 contour alone is 6 lbs and the rifle weighs about 14.5 lbs. I am not sold on the stock yet, it reduces the recoil to next to nothing, but when it "Springs" back it jumps to the right and you cannot keep a sight picture. It was my idea and I'm thinking of going to a lighter stock, it alone is about 4.5 lbs and most of the weight is in the front. Rocky was really good to deal with, I already had the barrel and he was really quick getting it back to me, about two weeks.

Sorry the link didn't work quite right, copy and paste and it will work.