Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Need advice to pick a .243 bullet.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 12:56 PM
Gold Member

Re: Need advice to pick a .243 bullet.

The Savage website shows that your 116 Weather Warrior in 243 cal. has a 1-in-9.25 barrel twist, which will limit you to bullets weighing 90-95 grains or less. Given that whitetail out to 300 yards is your "high watermark", then you don't really need a bjullet with a high BC. Either the Nosler Partition or the Accubond would work well. The barnes 80 gr. TTSX would be a potent bullet for you to consider.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member

I've used 85gr Sierra HPBT, 95gr Nosler BT, 100gr Nosler Partition, and Bergers new 95gr Classic hunter. Every one worked, with the Sierra BTHP being the least (still did the job). The difference being from a reloading stand point, the Berger was easier to work up a load.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 01-14-2013, 01:54 PM
Silver Member

Lots of opinions here.

I'll just say that the Barnes 85 gr TTSX is the most versatile, hard hitting bullet I've used in my .243. If they shoot well from your gun, and IF you can afford them, you'll never need another bullet.

Sadly, they do not shoot well from my 1:10" twist Vanguard, so I continue my search...
Old 01-14-2013, 02:59 PM
Bronze Member

you say that u want to use it for a semi long distance. do not under estamate the 243, for sure. it is a good long distance rifle. Lets face it the average shooter can not make a 500 yrd shot in a 10 to 15 mph wind. the 243 has a great bc and power enough to knock down those small 150 lb deer to 700 800 yrd. (with proper shot placement. I am from SD and it is not unusual for us to have 250 and 300 lb deer.
from what you say you want to shoot ground hogs and coyotes out as far as possible that means a high bc bullet. I would defiantly suggest the 95 gr sierra or Berger bullet. the 107 Berger hybrid may stabilize considering your twist rate. both 95's have a bc 480 and will kill the hell out of the ground hogs and coyotes to a grand no problem. another good bullet would be the nosler ballistic tip fair bc (but not near the sierra or berger) and do extreamely well on deer.
You may consider the 243 ackley you gain an average of 200 fps which is substantial. Good luck with your build. I'll tell you the more you use it the more you will fall in love with it. I own most lager calibers and shoot my 243 ackley every deer season. Drew.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:14 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I killed a meat buck this last year with a 95 SMK out of my 6mm CM. The shot was at 30 ft and the bullet performed great. I was worried it may blow up that close.
Chris
Benchmark
Old 03-13-2013, 10:27 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlift View Post
I killed a meat buck this last year with a 95 SMK out of my 6mm CM. The shot was at 30 ft and the bullet performed great. I was worried it may blow up that close.
Chris
Benchmark
really at that close the bullet has more of a tendency of not expanding and not doing damage. Just punches a little hole especially out of a target bullet like the SMK .
Old 03-13-2013, 10:49 PM
Bronze Member

My favorite all-purpose bullet is the 87 gr V-Max. It's a compromise bullet for your situation because it's not designed for big game hunting but mine have always exited broadside deer out to 300 yards. It's instant death on rockchucks and coyotes. Good BC of .4 and not nearly as expensive as some of the premium bullets. In my rifle the 90 gr. Nosler Accubond shoots to the same point of impact as the 87 gr V-Max out to 600 yards so I use the Hornadys for varminting and the Accubonds for big game hunting. I can use the same holdover lines on my Varmint Hunter reticle for both loads.