Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Need advice for equiping a new Sendero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 12:08 AM
Gold Member

Need advice for equiping a new Sendero

I have just ordered a new Sendero II in 300 RUM and need some advice on equipment to outfit it. In the long run, this will be a platform for something along the lines of a 338 Edge, but that is a little while down the road. I do want to outfit it with quality components so I don't have to re-buy these items again later. I am interested in knowing what some of you have used with items like rings/bases, scopes, bipods, angle idicators etc. Also, are there any initial things to consider (i.e. skim bedding, muzzle break etc)? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:14 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Need advice for equiping a new Sendero

For outfitting a good rifle, I am partial to 2 scopes. The NF NXS series and the Leupold Mark 4's.

For bases, I am a fan of picitinny style rails and two peice 20 MOA tapered bases. I like 2 peice for when I am trying to save weight. As far as rings, I like the Badger ordinance and the NF ultra light. Again, BO for super duty and NF UL's for when weight matters. Even though they are light, they are very stout and solid. I like harris bipods. I use the short bench rest model mostly but sometimes use a double length for around tall grass and the like. For angle measurments, I use the sniper tools ACI (angle cosine indicator). It is costly for its size but functions perfect and is small, light and fits right to the gun. Shawn Carlock makes a really cool mount with a level incorporated that replaces the top 1/2 of an NF ring.

aci-htm Sniper Tools

Defensive Edge Products
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:05 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Need advice for equiping a new Sendero

I bleive NF is coming out with a level and angle indicator both incorporated to the top ring.

Give them a call.