Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Need Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2006, 12:46 PM
Silver Member

Need Advice

Long time reader first time posting...

Well I went out looking for a Remington 700 that was used, since I'm just after the action for the next rifle I am going to build. Wanted a short action but found a blued long action rifle for 299.99 and I told them I would give them a penny more if they paid the sales tax. I hope I got a good deal. I figured it was better than 500+ for a new one.

Anyway, Stripped it all down and its in perfect shape. The trigger has been adjusted but nothing else has been touched.

I want to build a big boom stick. I want it for long range hunting out to 1000 or maybe a little under, and it would be nice to pull it out and shoot some 1000 yrd plus targets.

I am thinking of a 26" bull barrel with a bypod and an A2 McMillan stock. Probably a Leupold Mark 4 on top. Since it is a long action I was thinking of making it a single shot for better accuracy and bedding surface area. I was thinking of a 7mm STW or possibly a 30/378 Weatherby. Anyone have any other suggestions? I don't want to fire form but would love a nice ackley shapped cartidge just for the reloading benefits. If I go with the 7mm STW am I going to want a muzzle brake or do you think with the bull barrel that I will be fine? What is the recoil like on these two? The biggest gun I have shot is a 300WM.

Thanks
Old 12-25-2006, 01:58 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Need Advice

7mmrum with a twist slow enough for the 200gr. wildcat uld. a 300rum with a slow enough twist for the 240gr. smk and the 210 berger. Go with a night force mounting system and a nxs if you can afford it. If you go with these chamberings then I would get a 30in barrel. If you want, a good brake. If you're set on a 26in barrel then i would go with a 300win. even then I think it helps having a 28. High BC bullets are the way to go so you will be burning slow burning powder and will want the barrel length. Just what I would go with.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:19 PM
Silver Member

I've been looking at the 338 Lapua and it is looking pretty nice. For some reason I'm not a fan of the belted cases.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:57 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Cruizin, it good you opened up and asked for advice. Just what I'm good at. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

You don't mention the cartridge for which your rifle is chambered. I'm assuming its a magnum bolt face. If it isn't it only makes a few $ difference. Either way go with a Sako type extractor. Its not only good and a large step up from the Remmy thinger but its a big confidence builder when you're way back in the mtns.

You say you want a "big boom stick!" That automatically leaves out any thing less than 33 cal. Any thing less is just a 'boom stick'. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

The prime factor is LRH is BC, BC, BC! Good high BC bullets are the key, whether they are heavy (lead core or solid copper).

I did as you did and bought a used rem 700 in 338 Win. It was pretty messed up wood wise but after a few adjustments she shot great. I didn't like the belted case thing and rebarreled with a factory take off 338 RUM. Because of its light weight I'd say me & the gun are good to about 8 maybe 900 yds. With more weight (heavier/longer bbl) and 338 Edge we'd be good to 11/1200 yds. Using 300 SMKs, that is.

For no fire forming the 338/300 RUM (Edge) is a good bet. If you really want to reach out take a gander at the 338 AM. However, the Edge accounted for a 1400+ buck this year

There are new bullets and cartridges coming out every couple fo months and they are the key for reaching out and thumping. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]