Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

neck runout with redding bushing dies???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2003, 09:57 PM
Silver Member

neck runout with redding bushing dies???

My redding bushing (neck) die is giving me .002" runout on my cases. They come out of my chamber at NO MORE than .001". I polished the expander ball slightly, and it fixed some of the cases, but amny still come out at .002".. Whats going on here? Do I need to remove the expander ball all together? Loosen the decapping rod lock nut, and then retighten after the downstroke of the press to center the expander ball?

Thanks for any help.
Old 03-09-2003, 10:44 PM

Re: neck runout with redding bushing dies???

If you are using a bushing die--get rid of the expander ball. You can check your runout without the ball to see if its the problem--I'll bet it is...
Old 03-09-2003, 11:13 PM

CJ is right on, get rid of the expander ball, do not look back.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:56 AM
Silver Member

Thank you gentlemen. I am in the process of calling reding to get the replacement collar for the ball. It was not with the dies when I got the rifle, I figure the guy just misplaced it.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:31 AM
Silver Member

If you didn't get the expander with your dies, it's because they don't come with an expander. At least mine didn't.

That's why I switched to the Redding neck bushing die, no Expander ball to mess things up.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:32 AM
Gold Member

First off... the nice thing about the bushing dies is that you DON'T use an expander ball. Just use the bushing that gives you the finished neck size you need.

But to address the real problem. If the necks are not uniform in thckness all around, you will get sized necks that are off center.

Supose that the necks are 0.015 on one side, and 0.010 on the other.

If fired in a PERFECT chamber, and the outside of the case has 0.0000" runout, the neck center axis (of the empty space) will have an error of 0.0025" compared to the outer surface.

So you are starting off with a problem... now when you size it, the thinner side will size more than the thicker size, so you can wind up with anything in the way of error.

But... a finished runout of 0.002" should not cause any lose of sleep, unless you are anal compulsive.

CatShooter

LRH member #23
Old 03-10-2003, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member

JustC

What is your runout on the loaded rounds? Do not waste time on case runout after they have been fireformed if your chamber is straight. Any runout is coming in sizing and seating bullets. Loaded round runout is most important!

where and how are you measuring?

Turned necks?

I have cases with .003-.004 and when loaded, right on, and occasional the other way around. With a custom neck bushing die on my 6.5/06 I am averaging .001 or less, maybe 3 out of 50 rds, running out to .002 and 1 out of 50 that hits .003. and never same case each time, tried marking them. Those over .001 go into a sighter box. Last 2-3 sighters are always match rounds (just for comfort sake).

My 300wsm, rarely ever has a loaded round over .001.

Now all of these are neck turned, which is absolutely essential to control runout. Not just once, but again after I first fire them. This second turning really helped stop any runout I was having. Helps clean up any grooves or donut. If not a tight neck chamber, turn just enough to hit the high spots on the neck and adjust your bushing size accordingly.

Stay with good custom bullets, and work up good loads. First matches, forget doping wind, just follow sighters, concentrate on good position, same hold and smooth trigger. Too much to think about will result in sensory overload and you will walk off the line not knowing what you did.

Good luck

BH

Good luck.