Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Neck Clearance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2002, 11:43 AM

Re: Neck Clearance

[ 07-12-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]
Old 12-10-2002, 02:08 PM
Bronze Member

Wow!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Thanks to all that have replied--you know you're on a good forum when you wake up, work-out, take lunch, check your messages and find you have seven replies! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You guys have really helped me out! With the modified 6PPC I'm doing, I am thinking about .0005"-.0007" would be what I would like to do, per side, although, as Jerry pointed out, moisture concerns have arose. I will be shooting in MN by the time this weapon is built, and I prefer to shoot fall, winter, and spring--in other words, until God's gift to man <i.e. insects> begin to appear! I don't know how much of a problem condensation will present; however, I do not typically load hot. In fact, I'm making the barrel 27" long instead of 25" for two reasons--added velocity with compressed loads of N135 or N140, and a reduction in muzzleblast to make things quiet when hunting with lighter bullets and reduced charges of faster stuff {probably N120}. S1, Dave; As for turned necks, and the word "immaculate"--I may leave that one to Madonna; I'm trying to turn them perfectly, but about .0001-.0002" seems to be the average in consistancy. Mindcrime--Mr. Baer is probably the fellow I'm going to ask to put this together; I'll have to let everyone know how it goes, although...by the time I, personally, get enough money together to spin the big Wheel, most of you won't even know what the hell the topic started out about, anyways! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I sure as hell won't--I can't even remember important stuff like family birthdays!! <forgot my own, this year, and I'm 23!> Anyhow, I appreciate you fellows taking the time; I can try and share what I know, but I'm still so damned green, there isn't much to that! [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] Has anyone, on a side note, read a book by Harold Vaughn titled Rifle Accuracy Facts? I don't yet understand all the physics he lists in the book, but do think the main concepts are very...thought-provoking.

Dave
Old 12-10-2002, 02:22 PM
Bronze Member

Bounty Hunter

I was going to e-mail you, personally, but it refuses to give me an addy; guess it doesn't trust me... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

It sounds like we are on similar endeavors. I have read that a 45 degree shoulder is optimum with certain cases, with the possible exception of that design that McPherson and some other fellow are trying [I can't recall the specified name of the shoulder configuration, but I think I read about it on here. The case is the 6mm Thermos Bottle, I think.] What I am probably going to do is push the shoulder on the necked-up .220 Russians I have back until I get either a 40 or 45 degree angle <still debating>, which should lengthen the neck. from there, I may keep the long neck, who knows. I won't aid accuracy, but it might aid throat life a slight amount. The heaviest bullet I will shoot, and the primary bullet, will be Berger's 95VLD.
Currently I'm running a Sinclair neck turner, with mandrels I turned myself. They seem to work nice; I think the reason I'm get one to two ten-thousandths variation from one box of 100 to another is mostly due to either a.) mandrel gets warm, b.) lube build on mandrel, but I doubt it, or maybe c.) where it has something to do with how they were necked up [I use a two-step process, but just recently adjusted the expander so it was more "loose" and could self-center on its own. Seems to have helped.] Anyhow, thank you for replying as well.

Dave
Old 12-12-2002, 06:33 PM
Gold Member

When I run a batch of brass through, "the treatment", I usually settle on about .0015" under chamber diameter. This is about as close as I feel I can safely go. I have also found that anything less than a perfectly cut and clean chamber can cause problems. I polish the necks with 1200 grit and use what my gunsmith calls a seating depth checker. This is simply a 1 to 2 inch piece of barrel that has been cut with the same reamer used to cut the chamber of your rifle. If the round inserts in this easily, you're good to go, if not, you have a problem and should not chamber it. Actually this piece should more accurately be described as a go-no-go gauge. I also mic all bullet diameters for even .0005" over can cause problems. I do love tight chambers, and all this hassle really is fun to me. Just my 2 cents.
Good Shooting,
db
Old 12-12-2002, 06:57 PM
PUBLISHER

S1, thanks.

I've never turned necks or even measured them but I'll check the dimensions now. Usually my verticle dispersion is at just about 1/2 moa out to 500 yds. Seems to open up a little further out.

I have just ordered a true 1000 yard benchrest gun, finally, so I will be learning to turn necks and do all that other exotic stuff.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 12-12-2002, 08:31 PM
Bronze Member

Hey, DB

That's a good idea--I like that suggestion. It's perfect timing, too, because I'm in the process of talking with Mr. Manson on some options with the reamers themselves. I'm really, really inexperienced at designing "new" cartridges; I'm sure a lot of people have tried this all ready, JUST about. Naturally, I have to be an odd-ball, and go specifying weird neck dimensions, and crazy throat angles. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] But the suggestion does seem to flip a few switches on, so thanks.

Len I'm more in your boat, I think; prior to contracting that horrible disease I've seen referred to as LRH, I never turned much for necks, either. One thing I am sure of, though; that disease....I think it gets more money donated to the "cure" of it by some outside folks than any other.... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Dave
Old 12-13-2002, 06:24 PM
Gold Member

Cybra, if you have your smith make one of these go-no-go things, have him mill one half of it off so you can see the case shoulder, neck and bullet. This way you can see what's really going on inside your chamber. It will also tell you when you need to trim the length of your cases back.
db