Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

A mystery to me, hope some of you can help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2002, 12:27 AM
Bronze Member

Re: A mystery to me, hope some of you can help.

Yep, I just discovered this problem a couple of weeks ago. When I got the scope and rifle square using a level attached to the scope base and a plumb line about 40 yds. out, I then ran the elevation up to 40 MOA and was surprised to see the reticle move away from the plumb line, ending up maybe 1 or 2 MOA away. So I just rotated my scope slightly so that the the reticle tracked the verticle line even though the verticle compenent of the reticle was not exactly plumb. I tested the setup this weekend and at both 100 and 1000, it is right on.

My guess is that this is your problem.

When I was fixing my problem, I thought to myself that I could set up the scope so that it would null the spin drift by moving the reticle slightly left at range. When I calculated the spin drift for 1000 yds. I got 5" and broke out laughing - like I could hold 5" at this range! So I just forgot the fancy stuff and just tried to get the reticle moving verticle.
Old 12-24-2002, 06:34 AM
Bronze Member

S1, that is simply amazing [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] ...
So the challenge is to get a good wind call and imput accurately all the other variables in a fairly short time...
Is the larger horizontal spread only due to the difficulty of accurately predicting wind downrange?
May I ask what rifles/mounts/scopes/calibers are you using for these distances?
Regarding the 6 DOF program, do you have to imput specific data for each individual weapon (like BC, yaw of repose, etc.), or all similar ones behave pretty much the same (...assuming the same shooter, do all 338LM SWS of the same model have pretty much the same come ups, wind corrections and spin drift, or are there differences among them?).
Thanks in advance, and please excuse for asking so many questions, these tech tidbits are not available elsewhere.
Old 12-25-2002, 02:20 AM

[ 07-12-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]