Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

A mystery to me, hope some of you can help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2002, 04:10 PM

Re: A mystery to me, hope some of you can help.

[ 07-12-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]
Old 12-23-2002, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member

S1
With all due respect, I believe that you and Darryl type folk shoot at a level that many hunters do not realize exists. The factors that you have such strong understanding of are rocket-science to most hunters. This is not a flame, I am just mentioning that many shooters cannot or will not believe that such accuracy is not ******** luck. The math and science that you employ is the basis of much of this accuracy, along with your skills and top-end equipment.

I like to describe our really long shooting (1000 - 1500+) as HURLING (not to be confused with the popular Canadian passtime that occurs when too many beers are consumed in too short a timeframe). We call our "really long" shooting rock-*ucking, since we get so much enjoyment out of the rather rare times that we get hits past 1500.

No doubt the reason that we commonly have first shot misses (on rocks the size of Chevy vans) that are measured in football fields is because we do not have a clue about the science involved. That is compared to your tossing dirt on 1000 yard crows or Darryl's kills on the next moutain over. As I mentioned, no doubt your knowledge and confidence in handling these many factors is probably as important as your skill and equipment.

Anyhow, I and probably many other guys really enjoy the info that you are sharing, and the opportunity to "listen-in" on some very interesting stuff. That is one of the pure joys of this site.

Yaw of repose is right up there with how in hell a bullet's BC can change during flight. Beats the hell out of me...
Old 12-23-2002, 06:17 PM

Old 12-23-2002, 06:30 PM
Bronze Member

S1, don't you ever have problems when you click a large correction (say, 40 MOA) on the scope? A slight canting (say 2, not unusual on uneven terrain where vertical references are not available) of the crosshairs will show BIG (about 14.6") at 1000 yds.
Another question: is your 6 DOF program available for civilian users? Is the "library" of bullets pretty comprenhensive or you only have data for military bullets?
A palm sized program like this (...there is one for the 408 Chey Tac, with provision for several wind values downrange!) would be a long range shooter's dream.
Given an accurate system, and good measurement of all environmental variables, how far does your program allows for first shot hits on a 1.0 MOA target, anywhere in the world?
Old 12-23-2002, 06:38 PM

Old 12-23-2002, 08:22 PM
Bronze Member

S1, I've read all those topics, and I understand what you're saying, I'm a long time lurker here [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]...
Please allow me to rephrase my question:
How confident do you feel with the trajectory predictions of your 6 DOF program?
Given an extremely accurate system that can potentially group 5 shots into 1.0 MOA at 1500+m, and given a "perfect" shooter, perfect wind call, well determined geographical location and shot orientation, and perfect measurement of all the other environmental variables (air temp, baro pressure, humidity, round temp, altitude, etc.), how accurate would the program be in predicting where the bullet will hit downrange? Would you stil need a spotting shot to hit a 1.2 MOA target at 1500m or would you be "there" with the first shot?
Old 12-23-2002, 11:05 PM