Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

My VLD's didn't shoot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member
Mikebob and Justramit,

We need to know that bullets with Secant and Tangent Ogive are different, typically, VLD bullets have a Secant Ogive which most times, (bu not always) would shoot better when it sits into the lands. If you're looking for a bullet that will shoot fine, when the bullet is sitting away from the lands, then we should be looking for bullets that has a tangent Ogive instead of the Secant Ogive. If your VLD bullets are shooting well away from the lands, it's more the exception than the rule.
Berger had been no long ago doing a lot of testing to put a new bullet out in 6mm 108 gr. We would ask why, since the 105 is so reliable.
I got this following quote from that said the following:

Why is Berger bringing out this new bullet when the existing 105 VLD shoots so well? A tangent ogive bullet is generally considered to work well jumped (i.e. seated away from the lands), whereas secant-ogive VLDs typically (but not always) prefer to be seated in the lands. This new bullet should offer optimal performance for shooters who prefer to jump their bullets.

Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!

Unread 09-07-2007, 10:55 PM
You mean they are not supposed to group this good at 100 ?

I know what you mean though... mine groups better at 300 then 100 also...

Lightforce Lights Dealer
Unread 09-08-2007, 08:56 AM
Silver Member
Thanks, guys. Looks like it is back to the drawing board with the VLD's. My rifle will also put 200 gr Accubonds into a ragged hole seated just over SAAMI, but the Bergers are interesting enough to put the time in to get good groups. mtmuley
Unread 09-08-2007, 11:33 AM
Gold Member
I want to mess around more with the Bergers too - but that 200 gr Accubond from a .300 Rem Ultra Mag is one heck of a setup! If they're shooting that well for you, and they often do, then I'd just settle on that load and hunt everything with it. I've heard nothing but good stuff about that 200 gr Accubond coupled with the .300 RUM.

Once I find a good load for a rifle, that does what I want it to do, I just don't like to mess around with it any more. Would rather get to know that load/rifle well, and just shoot it!

I'm starting to mess around with the Bergers though because they've shot well in one of my match rifles, and the success they're reporting recently can't be ignored. Besides I recently got a new rifle, and I haven't worked up a load for it yet.

Regards, Guy
Unread 09-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Bronze Member
When I emailed walt he actually told me to seat them .005 off in my rifle for hunting purposes. He said they usually shoot best just touching or just off of the lands.
Unread 09-08-2007, 01:31 PM
Platinum Member
i'm with Guy on this one. you have a 300RUM shooting 200 gr Accubonds into a ragged hole. i say make a drop chart and practice. i would just confirm they shot well at 3-5-700 yards.
Unread 09-08-2007, 03:29 PM
Silver Member
I think people hear VLD and dont try to seat them any other way than into the lands. I have shot many of them in differ rifles and i shoot them all off the lands ( i dont want to pull a bullet apart while hunting) into one hole. It takes more time and effort to find the magic spot than the AB but at longer ranges it performs better so its worth it to me. Instead of seating depth you play with powder type and load. I dont think there is an exception to my guns, best of the west guns, my brothers and my dads, friends. Its just taking the time ( whick i rather enjoy) to find it