Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Is my twist rate OK for my 7mm??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 08:02 PM
Gold Member

Re: Is my twist rate OK for my 7mm??

keep an eye out for these

RR

edit they reccomend a 10 twist for the 168, and a 9 for the 175
Old 01-27-2013, 08:39 PM
Bronze Member

Ridge Runner,

I know, I saw them and I am keeping my eye out for them.

According to Berger's twist calculator their SG rating is 1.40 as opposed to 1.65 for the Berger 168gr VLD Hunter VLD...a bit less. The AB LR have a higher BC and ARE Bonded.

Am I going too crazy with this or is the 1:10 OK?
Old 01-27-2013, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member

Your fine on your twist, I'm working up a load in my 7mag now for 180gr Hybrid it has a 1 in 10 twist. I used the 168gr Classic Hunter last year. I wouldn't hesitate to use em on elk. 70+- gr H1000, Fed215M, solid 1/2moa or better
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 01-27-2013, 09:34 PM
Bronze Member

Good to hear Joe.

What started the paranoia is that I was using (7mm RemMag) 160gr Trophy Bonded Tipped (Factory loaded rounds by Federal Premium) that were wobbling at 100 yards...still grouping 1" but cutting oval holes which I didn't notice at first. Those bullets are "1.458 which I guess were too long for my 1:10 twist. Dammit. I switched over to 160gr Accubonds and as I said earlier, they are shooting .25MOA at 100 yards. So now I am wondering what the Accubonds are doing at 300-400 yards.....I live in the NYC area and I do not have a range past 100 yards to find that out, so this is where my post is coming from.

The Berger twist chart is calling my Accubonds "Marginal" so this is what set me off.

Keep it coming Fellas!!

PS To my friends here...Besides the FREAKS who live and work in Manhattan, I don't know even ONE New Yorker who is for GUN CONTROL!! Please don't lump us all into one catagory!
Old 01-27-2013, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member

Your GTG!! Load, shoot and repeat

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-28-2013, 03:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe View Post
Ridge Runner,

I know, I saw them and I am keeping my eye out for them.

According to Berger's twist calculator their SG rating is 1.40 as opposed to 1.65 for the Berger 168gr VLD Hunter VLD...a bit less. The AB LR have a higher BC and ARE Bonded.

Am I going too crazy with this or is the 1:10 OK?
How do you know you have a 10 twist? Have you actually measured it? The typical factory twist for the 7 RM is 9 1/4 - 9 1/2. If it's a custom barrel, it may have been made for a specific bullet in the 140 or 150 gr range. If you're getting good groups with the 160 AB's, then stick with it.

You say the 160 AB SF is 1.40 vs the 168 VLD of 1.65? That is VERY odd, as it would imply the 160 AB is much longer than the Berger 168. Not possible or factual. Maybe you made an input error?

Don't drink the Nosler BC Koolaid, their BC is BS.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 01-28-2013, 06:40 AM
Bronze Member

Montana,

Yes I do have a custom Hart barrel. My recipt says 1:10 but I should measure it.

The Accubond actually is longer than the VLD. I am talking about the Berger VLD Custom Hunter which was made to saami specs to fit in standard chambers, so it is shorter than the AB.

The AB is perfect at 100 yards, but I am wondering if it is stable at 500...