Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

My Springfield Armory M1A Blew Up!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2002, 02:53 AM
Platinum Member

Re: My Springfield Armory M1A Blew Up!!

Damn, Brent. Glad you're still with us! That's scary!

Thanks for posting what can be a good lesson to us all.

But don't be too hard on your brother. He is your brother after all. I would guess he didn't mean it and I'm sure he feels like crap about it. Sometimes mistakes are made. I've made serious ones and I'm sure pretty much everybody has at one time or another.

Just give him a good asswhipping, then forgive him [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] .
Old 06-06-2002, 09:52 PM
Gold Member

Hey Brent have you decided to replace that M1A yet and with what? Tell your brother you might forgive him if he helps with the cost of a new gun [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] . It's worth a try [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . Please be careful whatever you do we need imput for up there.
Old 06-07-2002, 01:20 AM
Platinum Member

I haven't talked to him but once about it since he's working about 300 miles away on a road job right now. Managed to get him on his cell phone once long enough to tell him it was not H380. He said it was marked IMR4831, it wasn't, and there wasn't IMR4831 in it either. He owes me BIG time. I think he feels pretty bad about it and sees the magnatude of the whole thing. I'll let him off after I get a new stock, bolt and some free gunsmith work out of him this winter.

It will be an Armalite AR-10T with a 300WSM upper conversion if this cannot be fixed. Even if it can be it's comming anyway. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I bought a 4 5/8" SS Ruger Bisley Vaquero in 44mag today to convert to 500 Linebaugh this winter hopefully, just what I been looking for.
Old 06-07-2002, 11:48 PM
Silver Member

Very scary. My big sis has a habit of quoting, "That which doesn't kill us, makes us stronger." That may be true, but it still makes you have to squeeze your cheeks together sometimes! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I saw a picture on the net awhile back from a guy that had an M-14 come apart on him about like you described. After extensive testing by a lab, they determined it was bad barrel steel (unknown after market barrel) of all things. If I can find the file I'll post it. Gives you chills just to look at it.

Had a '14 pop an ejector out one time in training & left the spring hanging out of the breech. That was bad enough, but whew! Better lucky than good ANY day. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-13-2002, 09:19 AM

i've had case separations where the stock has split, and the mag was rendered useless, but not near what you got- you need to strip the entire rifle down- take off all the springs, op rod , etc, ( i'm assuming you have the gi field manual of equivilent- ) then when you get the thing stripped, maybe go after the charging handle with a hammer- just a couple of good whacks,downward, and that should release the bolt- there's a special tool called a RUPTURED CASE EXTRACTOR- that can be used to extract the case- i got mine from gunparts in newyork- used to be numrich arms- now as to making it work again- provided the receiver and barrel are still ok- you're goung to have to get a smith to fit a new bolt(these things are headspaced in the old conventional way and you just can't drop in a new bolt and have proper headspace- you used to be able to get everything except the receiver itself through gunpartscorp- usually at a pretty decent price- if not , then springfield has an excellent parts depot as well- provided you want to go anywhere near that thing
Old 06-14-2002, 01:54 AM
Platinum Member

I beat the op rod and got it to open up with a piece of wood and a 8# hammer. There is a little scar on the feed ramps that are milled in the barrel but other than measuring things for swelling etc it looks good. A new bolt and stock is all I think it'll need, I hope. I'm having it loooked at this next week if he gets time. I can't remember what they do to set the headspace with those. I'll have to read up on it. It isn't as simple as a bolt rifle thats for sure. The FAL is pretty simple if you have the parts to do them.