Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

My new Savage 338 LM 110 HS Precision

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 04:09 PM

Re: My new Savage 338 LM 110 HS Precision

Well I just ordered a solid bottom 20 moa cant rail from Murphy Precision with the #8 holes. He stated that it was designed for the 110BA so I'm excited about that!

Thanks for the info Youngbuck. I wasn't sure what kind of velocity I could expect with the 300's but with your info & the new rail on the way I feel a bit better knowing that I will have plenty of elevation to reach my goals. Now does anybody know of a good cheek rest????? I know the 300's aren't a true pointed tip type VLD's but they are still more pointed than a standard smk so I'm thinking I should be able to seat the bullet out a bit further than the 250's I started with & I hope to be able to hit the lands at magazine length but I doubt it if your not able to, surely there can't be that much difference between two rifles that were most like made side by side.........

And what exactly is skim bedding? I haven't heard of that yet.....

I have a couple pounds of the H1000 myself so I really appreciate the load info. When I get home early next month I'm going to immediately load some 300's with that & the left over RL25 I have & i'll make sure to let you know how it turns out. For almost 3 bucks a piece for brass I most likely won't push them too hard. It's one thing to throw away a piece that cost 75 cents due to high pressure but not 3 bucks!

You are right about the savage barrel needing time to break in. My 6.5 x 284 really started to shine around the 200 mark which I just passed so now I'm wondering if I don't need to fine tune that load a little bit? How much do they really change? I'm starting to see this in other rifles i own as well so I almost think a guy just needs to just shoot 200 rounds thru every new tube & then work on load development........I'm just to new at all of this to really know & understand it, so I appreciate the help! Please keep me posted on your progress as well.

My 6.5 x 284 performed well on my muley this year. I didn't get my 338 till a week before the season opened so I didn't get to take it along with me but I'm kinda leery of shooting a deer with such a monster caliber since I enjoy the meat far too much! But of course I am dying to find out!
Old 11-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme31 View Post
Well I just ordered a solid bottom 20 moa cant rail from Murphy Precision with the #8 holes. He stated that it was designed for the 110BA so I'm excited about that!

Thanks for the info Youngbuck. I wasn't sure what kind of velocity I could expect with the 300's but with your info & the new rail on the way I feel a bit better knowing that I will have plenty of elevation to reach my goals. Now does anybody know of a good cheek rest????? I know the 300's aren't a true pointed tip type VLD's but they are still more pointed than a standard smk so I'm thinking I should be able to seat the bullet out a bit further than the 250's I started with & I hope to be able to hit the lands at magazine length but I doubt it if your not able to, surely there can't be that much difference between two rifles that were most like made side by side.........

And what exactly is skim bedding? I haven't heard of that yet.....

I have a couple pounds of the H1000 myself so I really appreciate the load info. When I get home early next month I'm going to immediately load some 300's with that & the left over RL25 I have & i'll make sure to let you know how it turns out. For almost 3 bucks a piece for brass I most likely won't push them too hard. It's one thing to throw away a piece that cost 75 cents due to high pressure but not 3 bucks!

You are right about the savage barrel needing time to break in. My 6.5 x 284 really started to shine around the 200 mark which I just passed so now I'm wondering if I don't need to fine tune that load a little bit? How much do they really change? I'm starting to see this in other rifles i own as well so I almost think a guy just needs to just shoot 200 rounds thru every new tube & then work on load development........I'm just to new at all of this to really know & understand it, so I appreciate the help! Please keep me posted on your progress as well.

My 6.5 x 284 performed well on my muley this year. I didn't get my 338 till a week before the season opened so I didn't get to take it along with me but I'm kinda leery of shooting a deer with such a monster caliber since I enjoy the meat far too much! But of course I am dying to find out!
I'll try and update. I'm subscribed to this thread and my original thread

Savage 110 FCP HS 338LM

I hope to use mine w/ 300 OTMs on 100lb deer in December. For a cheek rest I have a black hawk, IIRC. It is a lace up, that works ok, but not great. The string is just about too short, so you'll have to replace it with a longer one. I made an adjustable kydex cheek piece but need to drill my stock.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:05 PM

Oh man I hope your successful & you'll have to show me pictures of the results! Of course that bullet might just fly right thru them but I sure found out this year that there VLD hunting bullets are like grenades going off after they penetrate! I'm sure that OTM would have to be a much stouter bullet so it might be just right?

We'll chat more in the future!
Old 11-11-2011, 11:25 PM
Gold Member

Regarding dear shot with howitzer : LUNGS stay away from the shoulder and it will be fine. I took my buck and my bull this year with my 338 edge using the 300 SMK and it was down right amusing. The only phrase to describe it is "instant gratification" emphasis on instant!................................My edge started when I ignorantly told someone in the forums that it would be a waist to rechamber a 338 win with a 24-26" barrel to such a large caliber then I did some research and rechambered my rifle.............I just told someone a savage repeater in these calibers would be a waist but then savage made this rifle and you did this review....... could be a sign. Thanks for the right up
Old 12-16-2011, 09:32 PM

i have a 110BA....and have been having great success on animals here in New Zealand.

i have just ordered a new stock from Stockade gun stocks and awaiting its arrival.

my curretn load has been quite light:
88.5 grains of H1000
300 SMK
loaded to 3.750
fed 215 primers

gets me 2680fps and 1/2MOA....

rifle now has about 200 rounds through it and about a dozen one shot deer kills at 750-1000 yards.

just about to head out again now for a hunt and then a range session to get rid of all of my current load ammo

switching up to single feed to get more length and less jump.

increasing up to 91.5 - 92 grains and going to trial 300 bergers but the SMK's have been absolutely devastating on deer....very serious exit holes (2-2.5 inch) on chest shots ..... and rather large gapeing wounds on shoulder shots and majot bone contact.......certainly no follow up shots required.

i have weighed all components of the 110 BA and 8-25 leupold mark 4 and with the new stockade stockit should be down around 12lbs from its original 18lbs
Old 03-18-2012, 01:11 AM

Hello All!,

Lets just get it out the way this is my first post ever! ITS GOOD TO BE ALIVE!

Anyway down to business, This darn gun is the reason I became a member. The reason being I have read so many posts about people loading 88, 89, 90, 91 grains of H1000 into this rifle and I am blown away! I have done a few things to this rifle that is pretty common in my family of shooters, great bed job. . . check, lap rings check, all those bells and whistles, even had the barreled action chryogenically treated (dont let anyone tell you this dont do anything). These are all the normal things that we do with our competition and long range rifles, this to be down the earth is the biggest baddest mother I have to shoot, and to be honest am quite new to the whole big bore deal. Got plenty of other one holers for those tractor axle ruining ghogs. This rifle so far has me stumped (a little).

Anyways, I have only put like maybe 50 so far through her, when I started I flipped a coin just like any one else who just wants to shoot it, settled on 91 grains of H1000 behind a 300 gr Sierra Matchking, alot of people i have seen shoot 92.5, 91.5, 91 grains, figured what the hell, so I loaded her up and let her rip! I was shocked at the amount blunt force trauma that can be imposed. Try to extract, stuck. Im using Norma brass, CCI Primers, fairly good components. After banging it out with block, my father gets behind enjoys his moment and STUCK! Bang it out. I mean once it started it came right out. Cases over all look good just stuck like a mother. So I rethink my strategy, start way low, like 83 grains low, Im still doing the normal break in procedure cleaning a crap load and shooting, just enjoying the hell out of it. This gun has shot amazing stuck case or not everything is beautiful bullet overlapping clovers at my 100 yard range. I have no complaints on this gun, Im just thinking, and I have read that Norma does make softer brass, has anyone else had this problem? Also another point, I chronographed five loads of 86 grains of H1000 with 300 gr sierra matchkings and I was getting a average of 2680ish. 86.5 Grains is rough to extract. 86 shot very well though. Now in the Sierra book thats less powder more speed. I understand there using a 1 in 10 vs our 1 in 9, but I read people shooting in the 90 grains and I cant believe it. Im by no means dissapointed with this rifle cant wait to shoot some critters.

Rifle Specs:
Savage 110 FCP HS Precision 338 Lapua Mag
Sightron SIII 8-32LRMD
Murphy Precision 20 MOA Base (Unbelievable Service!)
Warne Steel Rings
Norma Brass
CCI 250 Primers
H1000
300 Gr SMK

None the less I ordered Lapua Brass, read a thread somewhere that someone with this gun had the same exact problems with norma brass, switched to lapua and all there problems went away. Also going to work up some VV N570, I also have 300 Berger Hybrids, In my experience I have learned Bergers create less pressure due to the smaller bearing surface.

Gun shoots great and I love it.

Happy Shooting!
Old 03-18-2012, 06:13 AM
Platinum Member

If the brass thing doesn't work, then try Retumbo. My cousin found a good load using 94.0 of Retumbo. He does use Lapua brass though. I think he has used up to 92grn of H1000, but with pressure issues. It's my belief after watching him load this thing for a couple of years that Retumbo is the better powder. Welcome to LRH.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!