Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

My new Long Range Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 01:06 PM
Silver Member

My new Long Range Rifle

I finally finished my project.
Rem 700 SS
.338 EDGE
Barrel bought from a good friend here @ LRH
DE Muzzle Break (not very happy with it).
Jewell trigger @ 1lb
Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist Stock
Sightron SIII 8-32X56

Loading 89Gr H1000 with 300Gr OTM's
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
My new Long Range Rifle-img_0323.jpg   My new Long Range Rifle-img_0330.jpg  

My new Long Range Rifle-img_0337.jpg   My new Long Range Rifle-img_0338.jpg  

My new Long Range Rifle-img_0335.jpg   My new Long Range Rifle-img_0336.jpg  

Old 09-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: My new Long Range Rifle

Whats not to like about the DE break? It looks pretty good in the pic, though I can see the transition from the barrel to break a little (sometimes it cant be helped). Did DE put the gun together?

Either way it looks like a nice rig. Im looking at rebarreling my .338 RUM to an Edge soon.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

The reason your brake isn't working very well is because it is turned down too small to adequately handle a 300grain bullet. Change to a larger brake and it will tame the recoil down.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:10 PM
Gold Member

I use one of Ross Schuler's one inch diameter (round), three port and it is great on the edge. I have never understood why folks turn them down to match a small barrel. In any of the baffle design brakes: the more surface area or diameter for gasses to impact on the better. How big around is that brake?
Old 09-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

I see you have my favorite rings.... Warne Maxima. A real PITA to lap but once lapped and aligned, the best gripping rings made.

Nice rug too. I collect Kerman designs in hand made Persian.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus-5024 View Post
Whats not to like about the DE break? It looks pretty good in the pic, though I can see the transition from the barrel to break a little (sometimes it cant be helped). Did DE put the gun together?

Either way it looks like a nice rig. Im looking at rebarreling my .338 RUM to an Edge soon.
After doing some research a lot of people told me that with this particular break in this caliber, I should expect a recoil like a 30-06sprg or similar, but this damn thing kicks like a mule. It's not like i'm getting rid of it because of that. I'm just a little disappointed.

I had my gunsmith to install a Wyatt's extended magazine box, but can`t fit ammo larger than 3.700" Maybe the wyatt's detachable magazine will allow a little larger bullets.
I'm only complaining about the looks of the ammo, looks a little odd with the bullets seating so deep, but the groups are amazing (3/4" @ 325yds). This was with the first load we tried. Hopefully we can get a tighter groups with more press work.

All the work was made by my gunsmith back here!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
I use one of Ross Schuler's one inch diameter (round), three port and it is great on the edge. I have never understood why folks turn them down to match a small barrel. In any of the baffle design brakes: the more surface area or diameter for gasses to impact on the better. How big around is that brake?
It`s around .680" I bought it with the barrel to a buddy here @ LRH. He gave me the barrel with the brake already turned and installed. I personally like the break to be bigger than the barrel, specially the ones that are a little squared.
Between the Defensive Edge and the Muscle Break which one do you guys think would be better??
Old 09-13-2012, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

I limke EGW myself......