Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

My new long range coyote killer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-01-2009, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member
Re: My new long range coyote killer

Thanks, Len.
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Genesis 1:1

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia - Shelter for Your WildSide -

Unread 03-02-2009, 07:47 AM
Platinum Member

Good luck on your coyote hunt Len.
Unread 03-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Silver Member

Say hello to Wyoming for me. I love that state.

Great rig. That should treat you well. The 243 AI is a nice round. Travel safe.
Unread 08-31-2010, 08:39 PM
Bronze Member

Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
Yesterday was my best range day for weather conditions since Jim See of Center Shot Rifles completed my new baby.

• 243 Ackley Improved
  • Reamer by Dave Kiff, Pacific Tool and Gauge, .276 no turn neck
  • Lawton 7000 action and 20MOA base, custom bolt knob by Jim See
  • Broughton barrel, 26", #5 profile, 8.5 twist, cleans really easy!
  • Manners T2 stock
  • GAP camo pattern by Jim See using DuraCoat
  • Kwik Klip bottom metal and magazine
  • DuraCoat metal finish by Jim See
  • Nightforce NXS 5.5 to 22 X 56mm scope with NPR-1 reticle and zero stop, (lower rings on order)
  • Kenton Industrues Tuned Trajectory Compensator scope turret cap
  • Weight with scope is 11.3 pounds (w/o Harris bipod)
  • Shooting 115 grain VLD Berger Hunting bullets (.551 BC)
  • Angle Cosine Indicator and rail mount by Sniper Tools
  • B Square rail mounted level

I just finished fire forming and started working up a quick load for my Wyoming coyote trip in 2 days. I was verifying my 300 yard data and practicing my seated coyote hunting technique using Ulrich's tripod. (When hunting with Scott we shoot seated and with Jesse we shoot prone).

I got the vertical worked out pretty well except for one shot low. I aimed midway between the top and bottom black tape. This 300 yard group from a seated position measured 2.87 inches wide by 0.5 inches high for 7 shots with the 8th jerked shot bringing the vertical spread to 2.7 inches high.

In the last photo I am showing my new tripod from Ultrec Pro-Hunter . I have used Stoney Point for years but this newer one is more stable and the height adjustment is a little quicker in a hunting situation since the legs have lever adjustments that work with one hand. And twice now, I have had legs fall of of a Stoney Point because of the adjuster thingy's connections. In this shoot, I had attached Stoney Point's tag-a-long thingy to give me some rear support.

Anyway, my new Center Shot Rifles' coyote killer is going to be a real shooter and Jim was great to work with.
I know this is an old post, but how is that stock to carry around? I am thinking of putting my Rem 700 7mm with Douglas # 5 contour into this stock. I love the looks, I am just curious as how it handles as a gun to carry around the mountains if needed. Thanks.