Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

My new .30 Wolf...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2002, 07:07 PM
Silver Member

My new .30 Wolf...

As I promised, here are a few preliminary results from my first experiences with the 30 Wolf built for me by S1.

I'll tell you it looks nice under the Christmas tree, and even better sitting in the tall grass!

Here's a link to some photographs...

http://www.pbase.com/eos3/long_range_rifles

More importantly, note the target pic. After testing several loads of RL25/178 AMax, S1 pulled the trigger three times and that's the resulting group at 100 yards with just a slight tailwind. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Ima thinkin' that looks like about .150 center to center...

If you all are interested, I'll keep you informed as I work up loads for heavier projectiles at greater distances. At any rate, I'm happy to report that this looks like one heck of a rifle...

[ 12-29-2002: Message edited by: STL_Shooter ]

[ 12-29-2002: Message edited by: STL_Shooter ]
Old 12-28-2002, 08:06 PM
Silver Member

Re: My new .30 Wolf...

Very nice weapon. Were did you get the Mossy Oak rings?
Old 12-29-2002, 12:00 AM

Charles

I loaned STL Shooter a set off one of the 300 WSM STONERS so he could go and test, because the rings he purchased (black) were too low for the barrel profile. I do complete rifles including scopes, data tapes, rings, actions, barrels, everything camoflaged.

Perhaps if you guys prod STL Shooter a little he will post some pics of complete rifles all camoed up that I build. I am web challenged, and have no idea how you guys get pictures to show up, but I think its cool when you do it, and I really enjoy looking at the beautiful rifles everyone is building these days. Most of the stuff I build is completely camoed, but every once in a while someone likes that polished stainless and black look. I like them any ol way if they shoot the way they are supposed to. 1/3 MOA guaranteed. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[ 12-29-2002: Message edited by: S1 ]
Old 12-29-2002, 12:14 AM
Platinum Member

Would also enjoy some more pics!
What bipod is on that unit,sorta looks like a Harris...But a lttle different & better.
Also 1/3moa is a hell of a guarante,does a guy dare ask the cost?In the market for another long rang unit just aint figured out wich one yet=CJ
Old 12-29-2002, 01:23 AM

Mach V

The Nesika actions, the Lilja barrels and the bullets are so good, that when you put them on a stiff composite stock, they all shoot good. Why you would have to screw something up to make them not shoot! The way I machine stuff and do set ups is different than most gunsmiths, and it makes a difference, but the 4 B's of accuracy still apply: Bullets, Bedding, Barrels, and Brass prep. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2002, 04:38 AM
Bronze Member

S1,
I was wondering who made the reamer for you, and is it a proprietary one or can anyone buy it. The local Accuracy gun shop I go to bought a 338 imp reamer with a tighter neck. I forgot what shoulder angle they went with, but I wonder if your design holds more powder and is more better(better velocity, case life, and accuracy) I got a Nesika Bay M action for 338 Lapua on order, so Im trying to figure what Lapua imp to use. Whats your waiting period for a rifle? Thank you for the info.
Old 12-29-2002, 05:31 AM
Platinum Member

Nice, very nice indeed. It looks very promising. Was it even broke in yet?