Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

My latest build "A Budget Hunting Rifle"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 09:17 AM
Bronze Member

My latest build "A Budget Hunting Rifle"

If you have read any of my other posts, I'm all about the budget rifle. After having read many posts about budget rifles under $800.00$ or $1000.00 dollars I decided my new project would be exactly that, what kind of hunting gun could I get with optics between $800 and $1000.
My criteria:
1. Sub-Moa
2. Remington (I'm a 700 guy)
3. good platform for future build
4. something anyone can do

I found a Brand New Remington 700 ADL in 7mm for $370.00.
I found a lightly used long action 700P HS precision takeoff for $180.00 on the net
I found used bottom metal from another LRH member for $60.00
Larue Tactical 20 min rail $75.00
Warn 1" scope mounts $29.00
Vortex Diamondback 4 x 12 $189.00 (not the AO, bad choice will replace)
The Build:
  • throw away the tupperware stock
  • Install the barreled action and bottom metal into stock and torque down no bedding relying on the aluminum block, barrel free floating from lug forward due to difference in standard barrel and 700P barrel
  • used the old broomhandle burnishing trick to burnish the xmark trigger and set to 4 lbs
  • Install the rail rings and scope torque down

The total in the gun so far: $903.00.The Vortex scope was a bit of a letdown since it was not AO or PA using 12x at distance the only adjustment was at the ocular behind the reticle, you could either have a blurred target, or fuzzy reticle, at 10x it was crystal clear but then the BDC was not effective.

I will replace the Diamondback scope with a Burris Fullfield E1 4 x 14 $296.00 so the end cost will be $999.00.
The results:
A "Tacticool looking rifle"
My latest build "A Budget Hunting Rifle"-blackgun.png

The first group of 3 @ 100
My latest build "A Budget Hunting Rifle"-targ1.png

The second group of 3 @100 1 grain more taped hole from other rifle. Yes, I'm cheap with targets as well
Name:  targ2.png
Views: 0
Size:  73.4 KB

Last edited by pinchegil; 08-27-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

Re: My latest build "A Budget Hunting Rifle"

Good write up! I'm in the middle of a budget build as well. I'll post pics, prices, and results when I finally get all the parts and get it to my smith for blueprinting.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.