Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

My first post & a basic question.......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 04:21 PM
Gold Member

Re: My first post & a basic question.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedmoor shooter View Post
How is Remington a "better rifle"? Yes the savages are ugly but man can they shoot! Ill put a savage against a Remmy any day of the week. Ive seen both and shot both and for me the nod goes to savage way before the remmy. The only reason i would buy a remington 700 is for custom build and thats all. When it come stock from the factory, i think you will see savage come out on top MOST of the time.
The Savage is $300 more and doesn't have a B&C stock from the factory. There's no doubt Savages shoot but they're not as smooth as a Remington. I wouldn't be afraid to put any of my Remingtons up against a Savage either. Reason the military uses Remingtons and 99% of customs are built on Remington or custom actions that are mostly copies of the 700. You can stick with what you like and I'll use what works for me and many others.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:44 PM

Jud I certainly respect your opinion and I myself have been a Remington guy for years. And yes, I agree that aside from custom actions most customs rifles are built off of a Remington actions and for very good reason. I have had a couple of different rifles built on Remington actions and both were exceptional shooters with the most recent off of a donated Model 70, which I am just getting started working up loads for . Ask any gunsmith and they will tell you the same.

Let me preface this by saying I have limited experience with Savage rifles and only have acquantences who shot them...none of my own. I have however seen several 1000 yd benchrest factory class matches won with a 300 win mag Savage and as noted previously have seen a couple of the long range hunters really shoot well to for basically a magnum contoured barrel. I guess my point is it seems Savage has made a great deal of strides in the last few years and have definitely made significant accuracy improvements. I certainly agree their actions are not as smooth. But, for a straight out of the box rifle if one never plans on building a rifle off the action...Savage should not be overlooked.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:04 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Send One View Post
Jud I certainly respect your opinion and I myself have been a Remington guy for years. And yes, I agree that aside from custom actions most customs rifles are built off of a Remington actions and for very good reason. I have had a couple of different rifles built on Remington actions and both were exceptional shooters with the most recent off of a donated Model 70, which I am just getting started working up loads for . Ask any gunsmith and they will tell you the same.

Let me preface this by saying I have limited experience with Savage rifles and only have acquantences who shot them...none of my own. I have however seen several 1000 yd benchrest factory class matches won with a 300 win mag Savage and as noted previously have seen a couple of the long range hunters really shoot well to for basically a magnum contoured barrel. I guess my point is it seems Savage has made a great deal of strides in the last few years and have definitely made significant accuracy improvements. I certainly agree their actions are not as smooth. But, for a straight out of the box rifle if one never plans on building a rifle off the action...Savage should not be overlooked.
I agree Savages are very accurate rifles. I just prefer the Remingtons and believe they offer the best deal with their Long Range and fall just short of a custom. I have never seen a Remington that wouldn't shoot after being properly bedded and with a good marksman behind the trigger. I don't agree a Savage is leaps and bounds better than a Remington, whoever truely believes that needs to do some more research and needs more time under both rifles to make this statement.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud96 View Post
The Savage is $300 more and doesn't have a B&C stock from the factory. There's no doubt Savages shoot but they're not as smooth as a Remington. I wouldn't be afraid to put any of my Remingtons up against a Savage either. Reason the military uses Remingtons and 99% of customs are built on Remington or custom actions that are mostly copies of the 700. You can stick with what you like and I'll use what works for me and many others.
What do you mean by smoother? I do agree that Reminton makes a wonderful action. One of the best. I just wish they would take that good action and put it into a halfway decent rifle(sorry but remington has gone down hill when it comes to that). If you want one of there decent rifles then your paying over a grand. Ive had personal experiences with reminton 700s and they left a bad taste in my mouth. My Grandfather has been 700 nut all his life but he was given a browning x-bolt for retirement and that thing will shoot circles around his remmys. Im sorry but when it come to a off the shelf rifle WITHOUT ANY modifications but just throwing on a scope and shooting, then remington is not the best.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:43 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedmoor shooter View Post
What do you mean by smoother? I do agree that Reminton makes a wonderful action. One of the best. I just wish they would take that good action and put it into a halfway decent rifle(sorry but remington has gone down hill when it comes to that). If you want one of there decent rifles then your paying over a grand. Ive had personal experiences with reminton 700s and they left a bad taste in my mouth. My Grandfather has been 700 nut all his life but he was given a browning x-bolt for retirement and that thing will shoot circles around his remmys. Im sorry but when it come to a off the shelf rifle WITHOUT ANY modifications but just throwing on a scope and shooting, then remington is not the best.
I spent $550 on my Remington Model 700 ADL Varmint chambered in .243 and it shoots one whole literally. No need to spend $1000. Browning shoot good but don't care for the design, price, and Japan written on the side of the rifle. No rifle comes from the factory stock shooting one whole, like I said before, if you have had good luck with Savage stick with them but I'm not changing from Remington.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:00 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud96 View Post
I spent $550 on my Remington Model 700 ADL Varmint chambered in .243 and it shoots one whole literally. No need to spend $1000. Browning shoot good but don't care for the design, price, and Japan written on the side of the rifle. No rifle comes from the factory stock shooting one whole, like I said before, if you have had good luck with Savage stick with them but I'm not changing from Remington.
Who said i was trying to change you???????? Dont get so excited after all its only a rifle brand The cheap savages shoot very well also by the way so you dont have to spend a 1000 bucks on a savage to match a remmy. And who cares what country is on the barrel as long as it shoots good. Some of the best optics come from japan. And i dont think 700 bucks is a bad price for an x-bolt that shoots sub 1/2 MOA. And thats better quality than and ADL. I had an ADL and that was the biggest piece of crap if owned or seen. It was just made poorly. My Grandpas 1000 dollar 700 cdl is a 2 in gun by the why. My savage mark II 22lr will do better than that @ 100 yards (3/4 in groups with cci ammo).
Old 02-06-2014, 10:00 AM
Silver Member

Remington > Savage > Browning

I think we are splitting hairs. If the OP goes with target shooting at 1000 yards with a stock rifle then a basic Rem 700, Savage 110/111, or Browning Abolt will do just fine. All rifles need their tweaking but it can definitely be done for under a grand. He wont be winning any competitions but at the same time anyone of those rifles will get some lead on steel. I think the 308, 7mm-08, 260 rem, 6.5 creedmore will all be excellent choices.