Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

My first post & a basic question.......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 05:44 PM
Gold Member

Re: My first post & a basic question.......

Definitely go with a Remington 700. No need to rebarrel it, factory barrels shoot excellent and never had a problem with one. If your looking into long range, check out the Remington 700 Long Range Model with a B&C stock, heavy contour 26" barrel, and chambered in .25-06, .30-06, 7mn REM Mag, .300 WIN Mag, and .300 RUM. They are right around $650-700 in price, saving you money to buy good glass. For caliber choice, the 7mm Remington Mag would be a good one. Lots of stuff out there for it and is a very accurate cartridge. Another option, since you want something different, would be to buy one in '06 then have it rechambered and bolt face opened up for .308 Norma Magnum. Brass can be made from .300 Winchester and it is an extremely accurate and efficient cartridge.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with Jud the new long range shoud be a good one for the money.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:45 PM

Welcome to the site Darry, I am new myself. Honestly, for the money purchase yourself a Savage Long Range Hunter in 6.5x284. I do not personally own one, but I have two good friends that do and those rifles flat out shoot....I mean real good for a factory rifle right off the shelf and close to the price range you are after. I have seen numerous targets at .5 MOA or less at 300 - 600 yards from these guys.

The 6.5x284 is a great round that performs great at 1000 and relatively easy to reload for.

Just my humble opinion. Good luck!
Old 02-05-2014, 12:45 AM
Silver Member

I also agree with the 6.5X284. The 6.5mm bullets are amazing. I mentioned the 260 rem earlier and forgot to mention the 6.5X284. The difference between the two is the same difference between the 30/06 and the 308. If you do start to lean towards a 6.5 cal and want more velocity than the 260, the 6.5X284 may be the way to go. I was in a serious de lima a few years back and had to choose between the two. I went with the 260. I'm very happy with my choice but sometimes wonder about the 6.5X284.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Send One View Post
Welcome to the site Darry, I am new myself. Honestly, for the money purchase yourself a Savage Long Range Hunter in 6.5x284. I do not personally own one, but I have two good friends that do and those rifles flat out shoot....I mean real good for a factory rifle right off the shelf and close to the price range you are after. I have seen numerous targets at .5 MOA or less at 300 - 600 yards from these guys.

The 6.5x284 is a great round that performs great at 1000 and relatively easy to reload for.

Just my humble opinion. Good luck!
I have to disagree. The Savage Long Range Hunter is $1000. The Savage also has a cheap stock on it compared to the B&C that comes standard on the Remington Long Range. You save $300 with the Remington and in the end its a better rifle.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:26 PM
Silver Member

id suggest a 6.5mm caliber cartridge. For me particularly the 6.5 Creedmoor. low recoil with dead nut accuracy and cheap to shoot even with hornadys match ammo. I hear savage makes a heck of a rifle for the 6.5 Creedmoor. Lots of guys are having good success with that combination
Old 02-05-2014, 03:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud96 View Post
I have to disagree. The Savage Long Range Hunter is $1000. The Savage also has a cheap stock on it compared to the B&C that comes standard on the Remington Long Range. You save $300 with the Remington and in the end its a better rifle.
How is Remington a "better rifle"? Yes the savages are ugly but man can they shoot! Ill put a savage against a Remmy any day of the week. Ive seen both and shot both and for me the nod goes to savage way before the remmy. The only reason i would buy a remington 700 is for custom build and thats all. When it come stock from the factory, i think you will see savage come out on top MOST of the time.