Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

My first custom rifle build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2014, 06:46 AM
Bronze Member

Re: My first custom rifle build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
The 26 nosler is quite the cartridge. I would suggest looking into the 6.5 SS.
The problem with this cartridge and any other based off of a SAUM is the lack of brass. I've been looking for 7mm SAUM brass for 6 months to justify a 6.5 SAUM build and have had zero luck finding it. I have occasionally found 300 SAUM Norma brass but the jerks selling it are asking $3/piece! I did find 5 boxes of 300 SAUM ammo at almost $60 box. Again, $3/piece.
Unless SAUM brass becomes easier to find, I'll stick to a cartridge based off of available brass. No sense having a purdy rifle that you can't shoot.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:59 AM
Silver Member

I went 6.5 Sherman. Not hard to find 270 brass.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:04 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmonkey View Post
The problem with this cartridge and any other based off of a SAUM is the lack of brass. I've been looking for 7mm SAUM brass for 6 months to justify a 6.5 SAUM build and have had zero luck finding it. I have occasionally found 300 SAUM Norma brass but the jerks selling it are asking $3/piece! I did find 5 boxes of 300 SAUM ammo at almost $60 box. Again, $3/piece.
Unless SAUM brass becomes easier to find, I'll stick to a cartridge based off of available brass. No sense having a purdy rifle that you can't shoot.
Sportsmans Warehouse has had 26 Nosler brass on the shelf for a while in my neck of the woods. Will likely still be there for a while as nobody has been buying it.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:07 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepaholic View Post
So I am getting a rifle built these are the components
what do u guys think

Caliber
26 nosler

Action
Defiance rebel
Sheep port & sheep rear bridge
250 recoil lug
Xtra deep fluted bolt
Skeletonized bolt handle

Trigger
timney or jewel I'm thinking set at 2.5 lbs

Stock
McMillan lightweight hunters edge

Barrel
Benchmark #4 sporter 26" fluted

hoping to to keep it under 7.5 lbs with a scope not sure what scope yet a Swarovski or huskemaw I know the swaro will be clearer but I like the turret system of the husky
Should be a hammer. Keep an eye on the throat though. Probably going to be a burner.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:45 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmonkey View Post
Fair enough. In Canada saum brass is fairly easy to find. Remington brass is easiest and nosler brass is around too. Norma saum brass is just impossible though. It's a valid point. As a hunting round, the 26 nosler is a great choice.