close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

My Custom .308 Norma Magnum Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-01-2014, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

My Custom .308 Norma Magnum Build

This is a thread I'm starting to follow along with the custom .308 Norma Mag I'm building with my Dad and Uncle. We are doing all of the work ourselves and I'm really liking the project. It is my first time ever building my own custom rifle. I have helped my Dad do simple work before but never anything like this haha. My Uncle has been doing gunsmithing and building rifles for 40+ years so he is a great man to learn from. My Dad does small time work but built guns in the past so he also is great to work with. I am open to any questions or discussion. Thanks

Here's the Specs:

ACTION: Sporterized Winchester Model 1917 Enfield with floor plate straightened, rear sight ears milled off, stripper clip guides milled off, action trued and lugs lapped, and contoured for a Redfield Remington Model 700 LA one piece base.

BARREL: Hart 1:10 twist, 6 groove, cut at 28" with a custom contour that measures .720 at the muzzle with a target crown

STOCK: Richards Microfit AAA grade American Black Walnut with Rosewood tips and
maple spacers, with extra wide forearm. We are going to do modifications to it in the future once the action and barrel are fully inletted into it.

TRIGGER: Dayton Traister 2-7lbs adjustable with cock on open conversion kit

My Custom .308 Norma Magnum Build-cam00318.jpg
First picture shows the action and barrel just threaded together by hand sitting in the stock so we can inlet it. Once we get the reamer in we will chamber it and tighten the barrel down in the barrel vise.

My Custom .308 Norma Magnum Build-cam00319.jpg
Next picture is a downward look onto the front of the action and a portion of the barrel showing the contour at the breach.

My Custom .308 Norma Magnum Build-cam00322.jpg
This is just a picture of the unfinished stock in the gunsmithing vise while we were inletting.

My Custom .308 Norma Magnum Build-cam00324.jpg
Here is a picture that I took showing my Uncle inletting the barrel and removing excess wood in the barrel channel.

My Custom .308 Norma Magnum Build-img950086-3-.jpg
The last picture should have been in the front, but I got everything mixed up haha. It just shows the barrel in the lathe after it had been cut, contoured, and crowned.

This is my first time making one of these threads so I hope I have done everything right haha. Thanks
    Unread 10-02-2015, 12:32 PM
    Platinum Member

Re: My Custom .308 Norma Magnum Build

Haven't posted in awhile, but the rifle is finally done and all it needs now is a scope. Took awhile to finish because we were all pretty busy the past year and we waited 3 months for new blueing salts to come in! But the Norma is all done and below are some quick pictures I took of her.
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
    My Custom .308 Norma Magnum Build-img_20151002_125936.jpg   My Custom .308 Norma Magnum Build-img_20151002_130409.jpg  

My Custom .308 Norma Magnum Build-img_20151002_130602.jpg   My Custom .308 Norma Magnum Build-img_20151002_125709.jpg  

My Custom .308 Norma Magnum Build-img_20151002_131113.jpg  

Unread 10-02-2015, 12:55 PM
    SPONSOR

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jud96 View Post
    This is a thread I'm starting to follow along with the custom .308 Norma Mag I'm building with my Dad and Uncle. We are doing all of the work ourselves and I'm really liking the project. It is my first time ever building my own custom rifle. I have helped my Dad do simple work before but never anything like this haha. My Uncle has been doing gunsmithing and building rifles for 40+ years so he is a great man to learn from. My Dad does small time work but built guns in the past so he also is great to work with. I am open to any questions or discussion. Thanks

Here's the Specs:

ACTION: Sporterized Winchester Model 1917 Enfield with floor plate straightened, rear sight ears milled off, stripper clip guides milled off, action trued and lugs lapped, and contoured for a Redfield Remington Model 700 LA one piece base.

BARREL: Hart 1:10 twist, 6 groove, cut at 28" with a custom contour that measures .720 at the muzzle with a target crown

STOCK: Richards Microfit AAA grade American Black Walnut with Rosewood tips and
    maple spacers, with extra wide forearm. We are going to do modifications to it in the future once the action and barrel are fully inletted into it.

TRIGGER: Dayton Traister 2-7lbs adjustable with cock on open conversion kit

Attachment 32245
    First picture shows the action and barrel just threaded together by hand sitting in the stock so we can inlet it. Once we get the reamer in we will chamber it and tighten the barrel down in the barrel vise.

Attachment 32246
    Next picture is a downward look onto the front of the action and a portion of the barrel showing the contour at the breach.

Attachment 32247
    This is just a picture of the unfinished stock in the gunsmithing vise while we were inletting.

Attachment 32248
    Here is a picture that I took showing my Uncle inletting the barrel and removing excess wood in the barrel channel.

Attachment 32251
    The last picture should have been in the front, but I got everything mixed up haha. It just shows the barrel in the lathe after it had been cut, contoured, and crowned.

This is my first time making one of these threads so I hope I have done everything right haha. Thanks
    First "rule of thumb",,,, do no stock work until the metal work is complete. That includes having the barrel torqued in to its final position. I'm NO fan of 'cock on opening' conversions. Doesn't Timney offer a trigger for the 1917? Richards Micro has nice pretty pics on their web site, but the quality of their wood leaves much to be desired. There are much better sources for pre-inletted wood stocks. JMO, from a guy who's 'sporterized' many military actions.
    Unread 10-02-2015, 01:05 PM
    Platinum Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
    First "rule of thumb",,,, do no stock work until the metal work is complete. That includes having the barrel torqued in to its final position. I'm NO fan of 'cock on opening' conversions. Doesn't Timney offer a trigger for the 1917? Richards Micro has nice pretty pics on their web site, but the quality of their wood leaves much to be desired. There are much better sources for pre-inletted wood stocks. JMO, from a guy who's 'sporterized' many military actions.
    My Uncle has been smithing for 40+ years so he knows what he is doing. The rifle is done and you can see how well it turned out. I converted it from cock on closing to cock on opening and it works flawlessly and the trigger is a crisp 2lbs. The stock turned out excellent, but if you know how to finish a stock, you can make anything look good. The Richard's stock required only minor inletting in the action and was a very nice piece of wood in my opinion.
    Unread 10-02-2015, 02:22 PM
    Bronze Member

That is a pretty rifle. It's one of the great things about working with guns - if I were going to sporterize my Enfield I don't know that I would choose any of the same specs that you have, but I really like it. The fact that it was a family project just makes it that much more special.

Did you figure out the scope you want on it? If you have a chance would you mind posting a pic of the underside of the finished action and trigger area?

Really nice work.
    Unread 10-03-2015, 06:11 AM
    Silver Member

How does it shoot? I have two barrels chambered for the 308 norma magnum. Both shoot very accurate.
    Unread 10-03-2015, 01:48 PM
    Platinum Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joshuak12 View Post
    That is a pretty rifle. It's one of the great things about working with guns - if I were going to sporterize my Enfield I don't know that I would choose any of the same specs that you have, but I really like it. The fact that it was a family project just makes it that much more special.

Did you figure out the scope you want on it? If you have a chance would you mind posting a pic of the underside of the finished action and trigger area?

Really nice work.
    Thank you! The rifle is definitely different than any other Enfield I have seen and I wanted it that way. I really like how it turned out and like the finish of the metal and wood. I also decided to leave the bend in the bolt handle and jeweled the follower, bolt, and extractor. I am not sure on a scope, but I'm thinking about going with a classic looking scope to match the polished and fancy look of the rifle. As for a scope, I would like either a Leupold VX-2 6-18x40 or VX-3 6.5-20x40 with target knobs. I like Weaver scopes as well and may consider like a V-16 Classic or Weaver Super Slam. I also am a fan of Vortex, but I think the Vortex scopes look a little too tactical and modern for this rifle haha.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CHARLIEDUECE65 View Post
    How does it shoot? I have two barrels chambered for the 308 norma magnum. Both shoot very accurate.
    No I have not yet shot it yet. I am just waiting on getting a scope, then I will test it out.