Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

My 300 Win Mag Sendero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 01:45 AM
Platinum Member

Re: My 300 Win Mag Sendero

Hey Mr. Bishop,

Focus, Focus, Focus. Turrets and stuff are nifty only after you get her shooting well enough and come up with the drop chart.

The bullet settling in (going to sleep) has more to do with the bullet length than caliber. Generally, kind of, the longer the bullet the longer it may take to 'settle in".

If it were me, I'd shoot the 300 Win no closer than 200 yards. But I shoot every thing @ 200 yards except the rain bow shooting 338s which I zero at 300.

If shooting around 1 inch (1 MOA) @ 100 yards you're only 1/2 MOA off of center Point of Aim (POA) or 1" @ 200, 1.5" @ 300 and 2" at 400. That should explain you kill success. So what's wrong with that???

There have been suggestions posted above regarding simple accuracy improvement methods.

The first, and easiest would be to "float" the barrel. Float mean you can run a business card from forearm to recoil lug through the barrel channel.

If you take the rifle apart you'll see two raised spots, one of either side of center, at the front of the barrel channel. To free float remove these. With that load (90 bucks a box ) groups will certainly move their Point of Impact (POI) and may be larger, smaller or the same. Probably smaller though. But just probably.

Here's a nifty trick:

Get one of these things ($9.99 @ Harbor Freight) + a dial indicator. Better would be to borrow one. (Tape the bottom w/masking tape to keep from marring the barrel.
\

After removing the pressure points from the stock use this and the dial indicator to check the bedding.
  • With the rifle vertical on the recoil pad mount the gizmo to the bottom of the barrel with the arm of the dial indicator resting on the forearm somewhere near the sling swivel stud. NOTE: This may take two people and be careful of the hanging lamp above the kitchen table (where this process is usually performed.)
  • When set up, alternately tighten and loosen the action mounting screws. If there is much (any to some of us) movement (.003" or 0.004"shown on the dial indicator Pillar Bedding may be in order. The reading is an indication of the stress exerted on the action by improper bedding. (With the pressure points NOT removed you'll get plenty of indication of stock flexing.)
Another interesting thing to do is to loosen or remove both action mounting screws and see if the barreled action can be slid back and forth in the stock. If there is movement and you're gonna shot before bedding, hold the rifle vertical or otherwise ensure the recoil lug is hard against wood as you begin to tighten the mounting screws. (Always use a proper fitting screw driver and don't try to twist the screws off. Only 65 inch pounds of force is recommended by many. I have no idea of how much 65 inch pounds is so I make it 'plenty' tight......

Oh, and one more thing (I'm on a roll here) Ensure that the action mounting screws are NOT touching the stock. I do this by drilling the holes a couple of sizes larger.

Have fun but holey cow step a couple of steps away from the 90 bucks a box stuff. That's mighty 'spensive brass.

Last edited by royinidaho; 08-11-2010 at 01:54 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post

If shooting around 1 inch (1 MOA) @ 100 yards you're only 1/2 MOA off of center Point of Aim (POA) or 1" @ 200, 1.5" @ 300 and 2" at 400. That should explain you kill success. So what's wrong with that???
Nothing actually wrong with it I just want better!! Part of it is my Savage .17 hmr, I can shoot as good with a 200 dollar rimfire with a 130$ Scope on it as my roughly 2000$ 300 mag. I have to get it grouping better than my squirrel gun!! I was hoping My groups would be a little better. My expectations might be a little on the high side for what I have. And in all likelyhood my "ability" may just not be on par yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
The first, and easiest would be to "float" the barrel. Float mean you can run a business card from forearm to recoil lug through the barrel channel.

If you take the rifle apart you'll see two raised spots, one of either side of center, at the front of the barrel channel. To free float remove these. With that load (90 bucks a box ) groups will certainly move their Point of Impact (POI) and may be larger, smaller or the same. Probably smaller though. But just probably.

AHA! I floated the barrels on all my rimfires, they all had wooden stocks and I assumed they would require a bit of sanding with a dowel and some 80 grit. Upon reading your advice above I checked to see if my barrel was actually floated on My sendero it seems it is only floated to within 4 inches of the Lug *Im thinking the lug is the square block that rests within a slot cut into the bedding block within my stock correct me if im wrong* It does not appear to have the bumps at the end of the forearm within the barrel channel though. I dont know why it isnt free floating all the way back, I seem to remember checking this repeatedly right after I purchased my gun and I was able to run paper *like the cover of a notebook* all the way back to the action. Perhaps the forearm of my stock is a little flimsy?

The action does slide back and forth just a tad when I loosen the screw's also.

That contraption you showed sure looks nice, Ill look into getting my hands on one of those to perform the test you suggested.

Big Thanks for your suggestions, they pointed me to a few flaws I overlooked. This stock, in spite of the aluminum bedding block looks *to my un-trained eye* like it could definately be improved upon by a good bedding job. It is alot sloppier than I would have figured.

And I won't be buying any more expensive ammo for certain, that money is going into a shoebox for MOAR STUFF namely reloading equipment. Boy my wife will be thrilled.....

Last edited by Bishop; 08-11-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member

the 300 mAG is one of the most forgiving of all rounds i have loaded for after the .222 and 308. easy to get good loads with little trial. the sendero is one of the best guns you can buy. i have loaded for 5 300 senderos, 3 7mm, 3 300 rum , 3 25-06 and a 264. they all shot less than an inch some a LOT less. for the magnums first thing we do is have a vais brake installed. you did not mention a brake. my 300 and 7mm kick less than my 6.5 that does not have a brake. we adjust the trigger or replace it with a jewel or shilen. i use lapua brass in the 300 win mags. i have killed over 250 coyotes and have seen almost that many killed. i have seen 5 killed at over 400 yards. they are a small and challenging target. yet you killed two !!you do not need a full house load for deer and coyotes. load a 165 bal tip or a 168 cbt or a 168 or 175 berger to 3000 fps. i shoot in a lot of F class matches. 500 to 1000 yards. i have yet to see a weatherby. i have shot against some very expensive guns like accuracy intl ect. i like weatherbys they are pretty, some have nine locking lugs, the cartridges were ahead of their time. the accumark and the super varminter may come close to a sendero.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:10 AM
Silver Member

I've had to bed the recoil lugs on my two Senderos.H.S. Precision puts a nice aluminum block to support the action,but the inlet for the recoil lug is way oversized.Once this is done,when you loosen the bolts on the stock,it won't slide and roll like it does now,the barrel action will be nice and snug in the stock.Your groups should tighten up a bunch.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Silver Member

@ ronin

I do not have a brake yet, several people are trying to steer me away from it because of the noise, but I already use hearing protection, I dont know why they are so dead set against it, however I really want to get a brake installed and have been wearing out my search button reading threads about the various ones avail.

@ Baldhunter

Thanks for the tip, I will try that and see what happends to my grouping!!