Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Muzzleloaders and smokeless powders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Silver Member

Re: Muzzleloaders and smokeless powders

Smi installs a ML'er barrel in the Ruger No.#1. With the announcement that Savage no longer will produce thier Sav ML'er-II smokeless ML'ers, And after the announcement they are drying up fast. These companies such as SMI,Pac-Nor, And new guys on the block McGowan barrels will be seeing more work. A popular conversion is a 45 Cal barrel on a Rem 700 ML'er action by Pac-Nor. Never ever use smokeless powder in any ML'er. It must say smokeless powder. Don't listen to those who say you can shoot smokeless in a BP gun, you can't if you do it becomes a 1 shot affair along with causing some real physical damage like loosing a hand or your eye sight. To answer the question as too the ram rod no problem get a colapsable ram rod problem solved. Good Hunting Lou
Old 12-01-2010, 08:43 AM
Silver Member

There is a lot of information out there regarding smokeless MLers. The key is first using a barrel that is up to the task and designed for smokeless and second, using a breechplug like the Henry Ball/Savage uses that will not allow excess pressure back into the action.

Anyone dumb enough to use smokeless in a ML not designed for it...well if your going to be dumb you better be tough.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Gold Member

There is no need to use smokless powder in a ML since the introduction of Blackhorn 209. If you dont know about BH 209 then do a little research on it. It is by far the best powder ever produced for MLs. You can shoot and shoot and shoot and dont have to clean the barrel until you are finished shooting. No more swabbing between shots and cleaning after every 4 or 5. It is also very accurate
Old 12-02-2010, 05:47 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperjwt View Post
There is no need to use smokless powder in a ML since the introduction of Blackhorn 209. If you dont know about BH 209 then do a little research on it. It is by far the best powder ever produced for MLs. You can shoot and shoot and shoot and dont have to clean the barrel until you are finished shooting. No more swabbing between shots and cleaning after every 4 or 5. It is also very accurate

> I use the Montana Brand 209 stuff in my 44 Super Blackhawk, behind cast lead. What a hoot!
Old 12-02-2010, 10:19 AM
Silver Member

You guys should check out Bad Bull Muzzle loaders. They are making Smokeless smokepoles out of remmys and stevens.

Bad Bull Muzzleloaders
Old 12-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecat View Post
You guys should check out Bad Bull Muzzle loaders. They are making Smokeless smokepoles out of remmys and stevens.

Bad Bull Muzzleloaders
you got 4k to loan me for it
Old 12-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Silver Member

Ha ha I didn't say that they were cheap, just another option available.