Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

muzzlebrake and reloads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-24-2016, 01:45 PM

muzzlebrake and reloads

hey gents, i have a 700 sps tac (20" 1/12 twist) i was thinking about having it threaded and installing a muzzlebrake, and was curious as to will this effect my loads? i have a bunch of rounds loaded up ready to go test out and was wondering if i should wait till after i get the brake installed or go ahead and test them, thanks for the help

Unread 01-24-2016, 02:30 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: muzzlebrake and reloads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backr View Post
hey gents, i have a 700 sps tac (20" 1/12 twist) i was thinking about having it threaded and installing a muzzlebrake, and was curious as to will this effect my loads? i have a bunch of rounds loaded up ready to go test out and was wondering if i should wait till after i get the brake installed or go ahead and test them, thanks for the help
I think there is a good chance that it will effect you poi. Should not do anything to your vel and pressure.

Steve

To hunt... or not to hunt...? What a stupid question.
Unread 01-24-2016, 02:38 PM
Platinum Member

Anything added to the barrel will affect its harmonics so you can expect that adding a muzzle brake will have some influence on your accuracy. But it's not an insurmountable issue. A little work on the load or seating depth may be all you'll need.
Just keep in mind that, typically in a prone shooting position, a muzzle brake will throw pieces of whatever is under the muzzle onto our neighboring shooter at the range - how much it throws depends on its design. Also, you may need better hearing protection.

I have a great woman, fantastic kids, a warm place to sleep and an accurate rifle. Life is good ..............
Hunter Safety Instructor - California Hunter Safety Meritorious Service 1971 - 1972. Rifle/Pistol Marksmanship Instructor - NRA Life Member

American rifleman's triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
Unread 01-24-2016, 02:45 PM

Ah that makes sense, I'll go ahead and install the break before testing, having a full shoulder replacement, so thinking anything that lessens recoil will be good
Unread 01-24-2016, 03:58 PM
Platinum Member

You won't be disappointed. Get one with no vents in the bottom.
Unread 01-24-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcater View Post
You won't be disappointed. Get one with no vents in the bottom.
I was thinking about a surefire socom, but honestly don't know all to much about brakes, anything you would recommend, I'll be ordering one here soon
Unread 01-24-2016, 04:53 PM
Bronze Member

If it was me, for a bolt gun I would give strong consideration to a JEC. I believe he is a forum member but I like the JEC results from this comparison of brakes:

Muzzle Brake: Summary of Field Test Results - PrecisionRifleBlog.com