Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Muzzle break opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2003, 01:16 PM
daveosok

Re: Muzzle break opinions

Working around jets as I do hearing protection is a must. The harmful effects from jet engines and shooting are about the two quickest ways to loose hearing. Repeated exsposure at these high decibles only takes a short time period for permanant damage to occur.
I wear hearing portection shooting and hunting in any situation.
Old 12-16-2003, 02:56 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the comments guys.

The recoil isn't that bad for my gun. The only problem is self induced as sometimes I'll shoot 30 - 40 rouds and I'll feel it the next day. I wear hearing protection when shooting, but don't need the extra blast. The rifle holds 1" groups at 100yds, so I won't be puting one on.

Thanks
Cobber

[ 12-16-2003: Message edited by: Cobber ]
Old 12-18-2003, 07:53 AM
Silver Member

In today's game there are electronic ear-muffs that do a great job at cutting noise and still being able to hear your quarry.
I wear Peltors Tac7 ear-muffs but plan on getting their slim line model Tac6 for hunting. They have one other slimline model but I haven't been able to find it.

You cannot generally take a muzzle brake off and put a thread protector on and keep the same zero. When the protector is put on you need to recheck your zero!!!
Old 12-18-2003, 02:33 PM
Bronze Member

How about an on-off brake that you can switch quickly by turning it like the savage? E. Arthur Brown co. sells a Brockman brake that looks intresting. Should not change point of impact. brockman muzzle brake-www.eabco.com
Old 12-18-2003, 02:48 PM

I went to the brockman site and looked at their $99 range finder. Anyone used one of these? Do they work ok?
Old 12-18-2003, 03:04 PM
Bronze Member

I haven't used their model but I used to have an optical one like that. For long range work you allmost need a laser rangefinder. Much more accurate and user friendly. I vote for a Leica 1200 scan. I wish they would bring out a 1500 scan soon.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:53 AM
Platinum Member

Repeated exsposure at these high decibles only takes a short time period for permanant damage to occur.
I wear hearing portection shooting and hunting in any situation.

Daveosok makes a good point, and a good suggestion too. I'm guilty of not using any in the field when it's a shoot fast type deal, as I'm sure many do as well. It's important to understand that it has a cumulative effect though, and every time you don;t have protection on, it does cause more hearing loss.

I worked with an older gentleman who drove truck too, his hearing was real, real bad. If he was walking away from you, and you tried to get his attention, you'd better hollar, cause he'd never hear you unless you did, and a lot of times you had to hollar to him even louder.

Even talking to him face to face you had to talk super loud. He refused to wear hearing aids, which he was supposed to by law when he was on the road or on a fork lift. Jim's one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet, and it was sad to see the difficulties he had becuase of his hearing, it makes me think of mine every day. He's still a hell of a hunter, but he does it all by sight... this is a fact.

I like the design of the Holland Quick Discharge Brake, especially if you use a bipod like I do. It's very effective too.

I do believe it's a bit easier for most anyone to shoot a rifle more accurately with a brake on it. Some people have a very difficult time fighting a natural reaction to recoil, same with muzzle blast. It's far easier to deal with working up to heavy recoil gradually, smaller cartridges and muzzle brakes help immencely until you get the mind over matter sorta thing worked out.

I'd go with a threaded on type for sure. If you can manage the recoil without one and you hunt up close without hearing protection at times, this is a big plus!

Ha! I have a 454 Casull, ported, and I refuse to fire it without protection unless I'm being charged by a friggin BB... PERIOD! Makes ya feel like your ears is friggin bleeeeedin!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]