Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Muzzle break opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2003, 07:07 PM
Bronze Member

Muzzle break opinions

Hello gang,

Just wanted to get some opinions on muzzle breaks. Pros and Cons. Suggested manufactureres.

Thinking of puting one on my Model 70 Featherweight 270WSM

Thanks,
Old 12-15-2003, 10:03 PM

Re: Muzzle break opinions

Put a slim line break on my 6 3/4 pound 300WBY. Superloud, lots of muzzleblast but don't get blurry eyed after shooting anymore. Also groups went to 1 inch at 100 yards no problem, don't even shoot off a bench just stumps and stuff. Makes gun longer though, had to either put one on or sell it, glad I put one on. Don't know what kind it is, but its got lots a holes in it and its at least two inches long. Advice don't shoot beside someone, some ignorant blast, makes em deaf quick, I also put earplugs in before I shoot it.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:45 AM
PUBLISHER

Camoman

I agree with you on the need to wear earplugs. However, it always amazes me when people talk about needing ear protection with brakes but apparently don't use protection when firing a rifle without a brake.

How do the rest of you feel about the need for ear protection with un-braked guns?

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 12-16-2003, 07:00 AM
*WyoWhisper*

Cobber,

Unless you know you will always use ear protection.. even hunting.. make sure you get a threaded break that you can replace with a thread protector cap when hunting.

Breaks are very loud.. but really do help you when on the bench.

When hunting I rarely notice the recoil or the noise as the adrenalin is usually pumping.

Len

I always use ear protection, I usually carry plug when hunting LR. When hunting SR my rifle has a barrel w/out the break and the noise is not that noticable.. especially for just 1 shot [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2003, 09:14 AM
Silver Member

I am quite fond of my Vais breaks. They are effective,..and can be turned down to match the barrel perfectly. The cost is decent as well.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:20 AM

2 years ago I had my hearing tested at work. After the test they asked me if I did a lot of shooting. I have hearing loss in both ears from shooting. I started shooting before I was 10 and got my first high power at 13. Started wearing hearing protection at about 25 because after an hour or so at the range my ears were ringing. I am 33 and have significant hearing loss. Save your ears. Use hearing protection. All my shooting has been done without muzzlebrakes.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:25 AM
Writers Guild

Cobber, muzzle brakes work to reduce recoil but do so by venting gases and noise "towards" the shooter. The perceived blast can and will lead to hearing damage.

For shooting off a bench or situations where you can wear good hearing protection, they are wonderful. For still hunting, forget it. The damage from one shot could be permanent. No game is worth going deaf over.

So if the rifle recoils too much to be used effectively, change to a smaller cartridge and different bullets. There is no need for mega magnums anymore with the premium bullets now available. Get a combo that you can shoot without a muzzle brake.

I use muzzle brakes on my beanfield 30 Gibbs but always wear ear muffs. The best I have found are by Howard Leight and are called Leightning, rated at 31dB. Good stuff.

Muzzle brakes that have a lot of holes around the circumferance all work about the same. Those that have ports or fish gills can be more effective if the surface area is large enough. The most effective brakes can be found on 50BMG with the Armalite version being one of the best.

Jerry