Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Muzzle break miracle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Silver Member

Muzzle break miracle

I’ve seen a number of threads recently that say stuff like “but recoil will me more” or “if you can handle the recoil”. Why are we even talking about recoil? A muzzle break will make just about anything shootable by just about anybody. A case in point - my skinny little toothpick of a niece, from 430 yards, used my 338 RUM to knock a 120 pound gong off the pegs and the gong has her outweighed! When I asked her later what she thought of the recoil, she didn’t remember that there was any recoil. Of course there was but it wasn’t enough to get her attention.

The bottom line: They make every rifle easier to shoot more accurately. And it’s not just about the big boomers, put a break on a 22-250 and you can spot your own shots.

Before you all tell me that it makes the gun louder, sure it does but this is a long range hunting forum. If you have time to dial up a scope you sure have time to stick in some ear plugs. And if you get in a pinch, you can shoot without hearing protection. I’ve shot the very same 338 RUM mentioned above (which is about as bad as it gets) without hearing protection. My left ear rang for about 2 hours and the right ear a few minutes if at all. My 357 Mag is much worse and people use those for self defense inside a house!

And for all you guys out there using Chris Long’s barrel timing method, a muzzle break has no effect like it is not even there. I got that straight from Chris. So now can we quit talking about recoil? Get out there and support the gun business – buy yourself a muzzle break or two. Thanks for listening – pun intended.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Muzzle break miracle

Not every body likes brakes, why put one on when it's not required $400 is a chunk of change for the idea of your rifle being more shootable, but if you can hold moa or better past 1k then why spend the money on that? Would you not be better served spending the $ on reloading components and trigger time.

Depending on the load in my 7mag, with 168gr I can spot my hits every time from 500 out, 180gr forget it, my 22-250 the target stays well within the sight picture at all ranges. If your already driving your rifle well and it doesn't beat the piss out of you, I don't see a good reason for the expense, OTOH if recoil is a bit much by all means get a good quality partition brake. Something like Kirby Allens Painkiller design.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 02-07-2013, 12:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
Not every body likes brakes, why put one on when it's not required $400 is a chunk of change for the idea of your rifle being more shootable, but if you can hold moa or better past 1k then why spend the money on that? Would you not be better served spending the $ on reloading components and trigger time.

Depending on the load in my 7mag, with 168gr I can spot my hits every time from 500 out, 180gr forget it, my 22-250 the target stays well within the sight picture at all ranges. If your already driving your rifle well and it doesn't beat the piss out of you, I don't see a good reason for the expense, OTOH if recoil is a bit much by all means get a good quality partition brake. Something like Kirby Allens Painkiller design.
A good quality brake, installed should not cost more than $250 including the part!!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 02-07-2013, 12:25 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

That’s why we don’t all drive Chevy’s

I personally like shooting guns with a brake at the range, working up loads is much easier for me with less recoil. My personal every day hunting rifle is 11lb 7MM WSM that pushes 180 Bergers at 2995 FPS and its heavy enough that recoil isn’t uncomfortable, and while hunting if I can shoot without a brake I do. So even though I make and install brakes I like it both ways if that makes any sense. Sometimes a good brake can bring the best out of a custom rifle just because it brings the best out of the shooter that’s pulling the trigger.

Elk Meadow Performance
www.elkmeadowperformance.com

Last edited by sj-pratt; 02-07-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Platinum Member

Joe, your post (especially the $400) leads me to believe you have not bought or used many brakes. Do I understand you to say you feel you will shoots as accurately at 1000 without a brake? I would love to show you the difference one of the newer well designed brakes make in accuracy , comfort and spotting shots. I think you could be in for a pleasant surprise. They are the best $225 I can spend and feel it is a must on most long range rig above 6mm.

Jeff
Old 02-07-2013, 12:36 PM
Silver Member

I'm of the opinion that everyone ought to do as they please. Having said that, I was not able to hold the scope on target with my 7mm RM, so I just sent it in to have a brake installed. It will be my first. I have been able to hold the scope on with my 220 swift, 243 Win, and 30-06, so I never have seen the need to get one before now. I am excited to get the gun back and see how it does! For me it wasn't at all intolerable recoil, just couldn't see the bullet hit, and since I hunt alone more often than not I thought it was a necessity. My $.02
Old 02-07-2013, 12:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkupper View Post
For me it wasn't at all intolerable recoil, just couldn't see the bullet hit, and since I hunt alone more often than not I thought it was a necessity. My $.02
Shooting form plays a large part here too. With proper form and a good brake I have seen the holes go in a target at 100 yards from my 300 win and a 200+ gr bullet. For spotting hits (or misses ) good form and a good brake are equally part of the equation. I feel you will be plenty pleased with your up graded 7RM.

Jeff