Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Muzzle Break Ballistics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2008, 04:22 AM
Gold Member

Muzzle Break Ballistics

Forgive me if this has been covered a lot but i am curious as to how much adding a muzzle break to my rifle would affect the ballistics. I plan to use a break when target shooting but would prefer not to have one while hunting. Are the ballistics going to be nearly identical or off by some degree?
Win. model 70 300WSM
Savage Target Action 6mm-284
Savage Target Action 6.5x47 Lapua
Savage Predator Hunter Max1 6.5-284 Norma
Savage Predator Hunter Max 1 22-284 Norma
Savage Bear Hunter 338 Win Mag
"Gotta Kill It Before You Can Grill It"
Old 03-22-2008, 08:17 AM
Platinum Member

Identical.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Platinum Member

Balistics will be the same but if you shoot a gun with a brake and work up a load for it that load will likely group differantly when the brake is taken off as you are changing the barrel harmonics ,but the speed and trajectory will be the same
Old 03-22-2008, 11:45 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Jones View Post
Balistics will be the same but if you shoot a gun with a brake and work up a load for it that load will likely group differantly when the brake is taken off as you are changing the barrel harmonics ,but the speed and trajectory will be the same
+1
Trajectory is the same, point of impact may change slightly
Old 03-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Platinum Member

in theory it should be the same but with a regular hunting gun, as you're discribing, it rarely will be. i've done what you're talking about with a couple rifles and ended up hunting with the brake on because the POI changed. it's a recoil thing. my advise would be to try it and see how it does with you and your gun. very easy to do and would erase those doubts that might be flying around.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:51 PM
Lightvarmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewilson View Post
in theory it should be the same but with a regular hunting gun, as you're discribing, it rarely will be. i've done what you're talking about with a couple rifles and ended up hunting with the brake on because the POI changed. it's a recoil thing. my advise would be to try it and see how it does with you and your gun. very easy to do and would erase those doubts that might be flying around.
Adding a brake is similar to adding a barrel tuner. I might change your barrel dynamics enough to require additional load developement. I have seen it work both ways (no change and required additional load development) Only one way to find out for sure with your gun.

James
Old 03-22-2008, 11:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightvarmint View Post
Adding a brake is similar to adding a barrel tuner. I might change your barrel dynamics enough to require additional load developement. I have seen it work both ways (no change and required additional load development) Only one way to find out for sure with your gun. James
Well said. A muzzle brake will always change some aspect of your barrel dynamics. The real question is, is the change noticeable and even measurable? No matter the type of brake, design or even how well itís constructed youíre adding additional length and mass to the barrel. Change is inevitable to some degree.

The only way to know for sure is to document the barrel performance with and without the brake. This canít really be done with one range session. Your cold bore shots may be different with or without the brake on. POI may be totally different with or without the brake. Usually any changes in velocities are so small they canít be accurately measured.

Some shooters develop a natural flinch when using a muzzle brake because the sound and pressures are directed back towards the shooters. I developed a flinch when I first started using a brake and I attributed a lot of the barrel changes to the brake and not myself. It wasnít until I was videotaped and we played it back in slow motion that I saw I was flinching. I didnít flinch with the brake, but I did when it was on. I had no idea but my brain and body were reacting to increased sound and pressures coming back at me. It took some work to correct it and to this day I donít like shooting with a brake. Most of my rifles had a small POI change when the brake was on.

Hope it helps

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!