Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

muzzle brakes again

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2009, 09:44 PM
Silver Member

muzzle brakes again

Not long afer I became an active participant on this forum I brought up the subject of muzzle brakes. Back then I was of the opinion that If you couldn't just hold'em and squeez'em you needed to get another gun.

Then on another forum I got into a discussion where some other things were brought to my attention that i didn't realize. That conversation left thinking that a muzzle brake can be a useful tool for something other than its primary function of reducing recoil.

Since that conversation I have had a muzzle brake from Roedale precision mounted on my .308. When I took it to the range, that experience was much more than I exptected. Being able watch the bullet impact, dial a correction, and fire the second round all withough taking your head off the gun(I am shooting a bolt is more than worth the price of a good brake. I can now shoot off a hard concrete bench using a bipod with no muzzle jump . That alone is a blessing when you are trying to get hard dope for your rifle cartridge combination.

We all have our own opinions on brakes and I would never tell another shooter he or she was wrong for choosing not to use one. I for one have been convinced that a good brake is a worth while excessory for my guns.

As a parting shot. shooting something a mild as a .308 my gun is not much louder with a brake than with out one. Wearing double hearing protection (which I wear even when I am shooting my wifes 10/22) I all but couldn't tell the difference. Shooting large magnum calibers your milage may very in the decible department

in closing if its safe and gives you more control, its a worth while piece of kit. Just don't knock'em till you try one.

http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64
Old 08-31-2009, 11:04 PM
SPONSOR

Re: muzzle brakes again

Thanks for sharing.
All of us continue to learn (and even change our mind from time to time) if we keep an open mind.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:28 PM
Silver Member

Re: muzzle brakes again

See who say's you cant teach a old dog new tricks. Breaks are great arent they.