Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Muzzle brake question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Silver Member

Muzzle brake question

I was considering this muzzle brake for a 338 Lapua Mag (I'm only waiting on the barrel to come in from shilen) MidwayUSA - JP Enterprises Recoil Eliminator Muzzle Brake 5/8" x 28 Thread AR-15 Matte

I understand that for accuracy the hole through the brake should be .020" larger than bullet diamater. If you look at the pic of this brake it's got a large hole and then a smaller one that could be made .020" larger than bullet diamater. My question is will the larger hole be a problem for accuracy? I want an effective brake, but I'm unwilling to give up any accuracy for it. I understand that this brake is one of the most effective in cuttting down recoil.

I've used search and found lots of good info here. I've never had a rifle with a brake on it before as I've always shot reasonable recoiling calibers (largest I've owned was 7mm mag). I really liked the Brake test thread with the videos, I was wondering if there's a link I could go to to find the price and other info on this brake. It sounds like it's made by a member here.

Old 02-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Silver Member

Heres the one from the video:

Welcome To My Website

Not my website
Old 02-04-2008, 10:09 PM
Silver Member

Can't find pricing on these (uninstalled). They sure look nice.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

The JP brake is a good one and it does knock the recoil way down but I don't think you will be able to see that big of a differance between that one and any well desgined baffel brake thats half the size looks WAY better and likely cost less.

In that video thats a 300gr Match King bullet at over 2900fps which ios a bit faster than you can drive one out of a regular 338 Lapua safely

You will have to shoot Nate an E-mail or a phone call to get a price quote , I think their are a few variables to the cost of his brake like the size and material and such.

I will say that I highly doubt that you can buy his brake and have it installed somplace else for a better price and a better job , his turn around time is very reasonable compaired to some guys that take months just to have a brake installed.

So give him a ring and talk with him about what it is you want.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:36 PM
Silver Member

Will do, thanks. I don't care to ship my barrel or rifle out, I've got a great local smith that gives me very good deals.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:16 AM
Silver Member

I just put a JP brake on my 300win mag.It really works.I wasn't sure about taking any recoil out but it works as clamed.the main reason I bought it was it is kinda fugly.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Silver Member

The hole in the first buffer needs to be bigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcbeitner View Post
I was considering this muzzle brake for a 338 Lapua Mag (I'm only waiting on the barrel to come in from shilen) MidwayUSA - JP Enterprises Recoil Eliminator Muzzle Brake 5/8" x 28 Thread AR-15 Matte

I understand that for accuracy the hole through the brake should be .020" larger than bullet diamater. If you look at the pic of this brake it's got a large hole and then a smaller one that could be made .020" larger than bullet diamater. My question is will the larger hole be a problem for accuracy? I want an effective brake, but I'm unwilling to give up any accuracy for it. I understand that this brake is one of the most effective in cuttting down recoil.

I've used search and found lots of good info here. I've never had a rifle with a brake on it before as I've always shot reasonable recoiling calibers (largest I've owned was 7mm mag). I really liked the Brake test thread with the videos, I was wondering if there's a link I could go to to find the price and other info on this brake. It sounds like it's made by a member here.

If the potential of the the second (front buffer) wants to be maximazed. The need for the bigger hole is that more gas to go throuh the first buffer to hit the second buffer and pull the rifle forward. It won't have any effect on your accuracy, believe me.

Peter

Last edited by P KUNDA; 02-05-2008 at 05:32 PM.