Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

To Muzzle Brake or not to Muzzle Brake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Bronze Member

To Muzzle Brake or not to Muzzle Brake

I'm curious about the trend toward muzzle breaks on many hunting rifles. I can see the point if its a big 338 with substantial recoil, but why are muzzle brakes so popular on smaller rifles of 30 cal or 7mm as well?

Is it simply that most people feel these rifles beat them up in longer shooting seasons or is it the other benefits of the brake.

Myself, I think a brake could end up being a very bad thing on a hunting rifle where any quick shooting might take place and hearing protection might be forgotten in the rush (or skipped for sake of speed)
But on a target rifle (where and if allowed) I think they would be great.

Last edited by 300magman; 12-13-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:14 PM
Bronze Member

Re: To Muzzle Brake or not to Muzzle Brake

Muzzle brakes have a place with the heavy recoiling stuff in my safes. Although the wife does like a brake on her varmint caliber rifle(22.250AI), this allows her to see the 'hit' through the optic.

Then there's the whole "accuracy-is-effected-by-a-muzzlebrake-so-I-don't-use-them" crowd.

Scott
Old 12-13-2010, 01:38 PM
GNERGY

I have a Muscle brake on my 338 Ultra mag which made shooting it more enjoyable and made me a more accurate shooter by not worrying about getting pounded.
I made a similar brake for my Rem. 7400 semi auto in 308 hoping I would be able to get off a faster second shot for coyote hunting. It made it kick a lot less, more like a 223. It also made it shoot better, maybe because of the extra weight on the 7400's thin barrel. It would shoot groups around 1 1/4 inch for 3 shots at 100yds no matter how I loaded them. Now with the brake I can keep 3 shots at 3/4 of an inch with the same loads with 125 gr. and 150 gr bullets.
Go figure ? must have something to do with barrel harmonics.
Tarey
Old 12-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Platinum Member

On this site it is popular cause of larger cals for long range, the desire to spot your shots and time the way a lot of us LR hunt we have time to use ear protection. I hate recoil, I can take a lot but why, especially when I shoot so many rounds out of my hunting rifle by the time hunting season rolls around a guy could develop a bad flinch.

Ear protection has come a long ways, I've gotten used to wearing my low profile electronic ear muffs all the time so the noise is controlled I might as well brake it so the shooting experience is better

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 12-13-2010, 06:43 PM
Gold Member

I find that I shoot more accurately if I do not have to subconsciously worry about getting hit in forehead by my scope. When I shoot prone, which is most of the time, I only put enough shoulder into the rifle to lightly preload the bipod or feel the forend against the rest stop, almost free recoil.
With a quality brake you do not have to hold onto the rifle like you were getting ready to wrestle with it.
I have brakes on all the rifles I shoot except the match rifles (NRA won't let me).
I have shot them all (well except one) with brake on and brake off, no difference in accuracy. Yes with some the POI is a little different, but they are usually shot brake on.

Dave
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)
Old 12-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Silver Member

There are muzzle brakes and there are pices of junk called a muzzle brake. Good ones are not significantly louder than the same rifle without one. Adjustable ones will make a good load fantastic. I haven't seen the length, balance or weight to be of any consequence compared to the benefits. If your buddies poke joke at you for useing them on smaller cartridges, the joke is on them. If someone asks why they arent allowed or used in most competitions, I would have to say, gosh I don't have a clue, but it could be that the cheap ones can blow your hat further than the bullet will fly.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

I'm not really bothered by recoil very much. But ...... I am concerned about having a scope coming into contact with my face on the heavy recoiling rifles. Brakes do increase noise and blast to the shooter but are necessary on some rifles for safety reasons. At least IMO.

Given the choice I'd opt to go brake-less. However, sometimes there really isn't much choice.

Just my 2 cents.