Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

muzzle brake comparison-input wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2004, 05:53 AM
Silver Member

muzzle brake comparison-input wanted

im starting a new project[still deciding on chambering] and was wondering how the badger and ops brakes perform.the ops seems like a sweet brake-how does the badger compare in performance[felt recoil].is there a better brake that im missing out on?tia-dave
Old 01-04-2004, 06:12 AM
*WyoWhisper*

Re: muzzle brake comparison-input wanted

BRguy,

I have had numerous breaks on my rifles..

vias, Holland, Tactical side vent ( 3 slots ) etc.

I have never had a Badger ( yet ) but I am extremely please with the OPS Inc. It is definitly quieter! It is a side vent only and I'm shooting 190 gr bullets and the rifle kicks like a 243 loaded with heavy bullets.. Chris gave me th e tip and said he feels they are one of the best.. I gotta agree!
Old 01-04-2004, 06:44 AM
Silver Member

actually seeing your rifle is what got me thinking,i really dontlike recoil and for serious lr.and precision work in larger bores[at least larger than .264]i think a brake is essential[for me anyways-i weigh 140lbs soaking wet].my real dilemma is,i like the looks of both the brakes mentioned but was just wondering which one actually works better.at this point im seriously considering building a 300wsm. or 300rum. as i have both a long and short action right now that need to be used.i really like your new rig it looks just like my 6.5-284 only i have the cheekpiece on a A4 stock.the 6.5 is performing well 4 me on elk and deer,but i need to build a rig that more suited towards elk size game at 800yds. and beyond w/o punishing myself when shooting it,as it will get shot alot.thx-dave
Old 01-04-2004, 08:06 AM
Gold Member

6br,

Chris M. installed an OPS INC on my 7 Ultra per his recommendation. Works so well I don't notice any recoil even off the bench. What's a Badger? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Good Shooting,

db
Old 01-18-2004, 03:05 PM
Bronze Member

I must chime in here.... The best brake I have EVER used (and i've tried almost all of them) is, hands down, the Vais brake. When I first considered this brand, I was skeptical at the claims the machinist made, but I was quickly humbled when I took my 30/378 to the range for a test fire after having one put on. It was phenomenal. It was everything George Vais said it was and MORE. The only other brake I would ever consider other than that would be the JP "Tank or Howitzer style" brake. Though, George Vais moved back to Greece, he sold the business to a guy here in San Antonio who is REALLY competent and focuses solely on accuracy. My personal opinion: Vais all the way.
http://www.muzzlebrakes.com

TH
Old 07-03-2010, 11:41 PM
Silver Member

I have always built my own breaks out of 1" aluminum rod they are 2 inches long
with a 1/2 inch hole through the sides exit hole is .010 larger than the bullet.
the side holes are next to the barrel muzzel and the length of the space the bullet travels to the end of the break is 1 inch this gives a longer time for all the pressure to go out the side holes before bullet exits.
My 300 win mag, 300 wsm & 338 win mag are fun to shoot now but they sure wasn't befofe the brakes

Last edited by OKIE2; 07-03-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:46 AM
Silver Member

There are a number of excellent brakes out there.

There are but two that have zero back blast to the shooter. I have a number of Vais brakes and can highly recommend Ron Bartlett and the Vais brake.

Jim See and the muscle brake has to be my first choice because there is zero concussion felt by the shooter. As well as the solid bottom of the brake removes the need to carry something along to stop being badly pelted when shooting prone.

Special Note here. Jim took the muscle brake another step forward. The original three port brake that first came out has been extended slightly in length and now comes with 4 ports as well. I can not hardly wait to get one on my Lott handgun!

Neal