Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Muzzle Brake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2003, 08:52 AM

Re: Muzzle Brake

Albertabound, I feel you, trust me. I just got a sendero in 300RUM too. It is NOT plesant to shoot on the bench at all. I think I am going to order an ops as well myself.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

Alberta,
Not sure if this is pertinent but you have a fellow named Richard Near in your province who advertises muzzlebreaks and has a lot of experience with them. Check www.nearmfg.com, might want to talk to him.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:27 PM

I agree a more scientific comparison would be very useful (and apparently never done before?)-Magazine article for the future Rifle shooter Mag?

It would not be that difficult, the equipment to measure the impulse over time and Sound is easy, just use the same rifle, same cartridge and change only the brakes.

It is not necessary to introduce other variables like stock fit, weight of rifle, etc. just the brake if one wanted to keep is ASAP for a 1st go round. You could very usefully expand the experiment though!

How about the above brakes on a 22-250, 270 and 338 win mag, light med and heavy bullets, typical rifle with scope weights.
My physics guess is that something like the JP enterprises brake would do very well because it provides a big surface area for the escaping gasses to push the rifle away from the shooter, counter acting the normal recoil.

How about it Rifle shooter?
Old 09-27-2008, 08:33 PM

I agree a more scientific comparison would be very useful (and apparently never done before?)-Magazine article for the future Rifle shooter Mag?

It would not be that difficult, the equipment to measure the impulse over time and Sound is easy, just use the same rifle, same cartridge and change only the brakes.

It is not necessary to introduce other variables like stock fit, weight of rifle, etc. just the brake if one wanted to keep is ASAP for a 1st go round. You could very usefully expand the experiment though!

How about the above brakes on a 22-250, 270 and 338 win mag, light med and heavy bullets, typical rifle with scope weights.
My physics guess is that something like the JP enterprises brake would do very well because it provides a big surface area for the escaping gasses to push the rifle away from the shooter, counter acting the normal recoil.

How about it Rifle shooter?
Old 09-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Official LRH SPONSOR

I just had Nathan Dagley at Straight Shot Gunsmithing install a brake that he makes on my 7rum. The results were amazing. His work was flawless. You can see a demonstration on his web site of his muzzle brakes. Dan
Old 09-27-2008, 09:14 PM
Bronze Member

Did you look at the date on this thread? It's five years old.