Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Muzzle Brake on a 270

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Muzzle Brake on a 270

I let my 17 yo shoot my 270 and he thinks the recoil isn't bad at all.

However, for my 11 and 13 yo girls I use a .243 Vanguard. I installed a Howa youth stock which has a nice recoil pad and really can't be harmed. The felt recoil is minimal, and when my son shot it he just got a big grin on his face and asked if he could keep shooting it.

So, I'd start the kids out on a 243 and go from there.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:34 AM
Silver Member

I agree, the 243 is probably one of the best starter rifles, I don't know a lot about a 260 though, and nobody has ever really brought that up to me before so I might have to do a little research on that also.

Since I have the ear of some knowledgable people on this thread, what are your thoughts on gun weight for a youth??? I am thinking I am gonna work with my kids shooting more off a good rest or bipod, so is weight as much of an issue then? I don't really know. My kids got a ways to go before they are ready for anything more than a 22 at this point, but I am trying to plan ahead and accumulate the things I need for them when the time comes.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

Gun sights on a manure spreader comes to mind here. Not that I have a severe aversion to brakes; one of my best rifles has a brake on it, but it is a 300win. As others have said stepping down in caliber or using a different stock or recoil pad will have more difference here in most cases. A 257 roberts or 260 would be a great gun with about the same recoil as a braked 270 and it won't split your ears with hearing protection on. You can also load it down a bit for less recoil. As to weight, my 10 year old son was shooting my a-bolt 270 last summer off the bench weighing 8# scoped with lighter loads. I don't think he would have liked toting that across the prarie though. He'll shoot my 270 and 44, but he won't shoot my ar 5.56 nato.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:02 PM
Silver Member

Seems that everything I am finding about all the different weapon choices is that certain calibers in certain velocity ranges with certain recoil characteristics being similar, than the performance characteritics are similar. The advantage to the 260 seems that as the kid grew into a bigger weapon, you could match that with a bigger bullet for bigger game and whatnot, but then the velocity seems to die out a little too so who knows.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb1982 View Post
Seems that everything I am finding about all the different weapon choices is that certain calibers in certain velocity ranges with certain recoil characteristics being similar, than the performance characteritics are similar. The advantage to the 260 seems that as the kid grew into a bigger weapon, you could match that with a bigger bullet for bigger game and whatnot, but then the velocity seems to die out a little too so who knows.
That's probably the single biggest reason there are so many chamberings and so many bore diameters in use. Not all will work well in every use.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
That's probably the single biggest reason there are so many chamberings and so many bore diameters in use. Not all will work well in every use.
That about sums it up. I got a little while to think about it. I just like to hear what other guys are doing from their kids so I got some ideas. To be honest, my 7 RM Sendero has pretty dull recoil with the weight of the gun figured in. Probably the smoothest, least rough shooting gun I have. lol
Old 10-16-2012, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb1982 View Post
That about sums it up. I got a little while to think about it. I just like to hear what other guys are doing from their kids so I got some ideas. To be honest, my 7 RM Sendero has pretty dull recoil with the weight of the gun figured in. Probably the smoothest, least rough shooting gun I have. lol
I often find that my 7 RM Sendero is a pleasure to shoot as well, and one of my favorites to shoot prone.

However, the 243 for the girls has far less recoil. I might let my 17 yo son shoot the Sendero but not the girls who are half his weight.