Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Muzzle brake?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2005, 11:58 AM
Bronze Member

Muzzle brake?

With the lapua on order I really must decide what type of brake I want to put on. I have come to agreement with myself that the most important thing is accuracy I dont care if it throws gas downwards and kicks up some dirt, but if I could get one that didnt and was still accurate that would be great.

Armalite, Vias, Holland are what I am looking at right now, but I am open to suggestions.

The gun is a .338 lapua with a 30 inch #8 contour.
I think it also safe to say that only a minority of shots will be prone.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!
Old 12-05-2005, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Muzzle brake?

I just recently purchased a Rem 700 BDL in 338 RUM. I had it ported by Warner Guns in Warner, OK. You can get their phone # @ www.gunporting.com. I had them port it to reduce muzzle jump (no ports on the bottom 1/4 of the barrel). This gun is probably a couple of pounds lighter than yours, and with handloads from the bench it kicks like a .270 with absolutely no muzzle jump. Their price is quite reasonable and it adds no length to the barrel. Hope this helps.

NRA Life Member
Old 12-05-2005, 02:05 PM

The Vias is one that I can personally recommend. Effective at redirecting gasses to reduce recoil, but not bad about creating muzzle blast to ruin your hearing. Muzzle brakes can damage your hearing even if you wear hearing protection, BTW.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:25 PM
Bronze Member

we have a 6mm/284 with a vias and works pretty good. I was just wondering if there was a better brake for a cannon like the lapua and not mess with accuracy. I think I may go with a Vias, but I just wanted to ask everyones opinions first.

The armalite claims .243 felt like recoil from a .50 BMG and their .338 lapua brake is same design, ALthough it is ugly as all heck does anyone have experience with it?

Porting the barrel crossed my mind but I dont think its what I am after.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:27 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Only one I personally use is the Holland QD brake. Tested most others and this is the one I use for all my personal rifles and the first I recommend to my customs.

Take it for what its worth.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-05-2005, 02:47 PM

We put New Holland on all our department 308 700 P's to keep the cost down, they work OK, but not what you want on a 338 Lapua. I had a Vias on my 300 magnum but they do not work as well as the New Holland. I put S1's CT brake on my last 2 magnums, and they kick less than my 308 duty weapon with the New Holland on it by a large margin.

Just spend the extra 40 bucks and get CT Brake, you won't regret it. S1 makes a brake specifically for the 338 Lapua, and nobody touches his alignments and perfect fit, it looks like it is part of the barrel until you pull it off.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:58 PM
Bronze Member

I guess it just comes down to personal preference??

Thanks everyone I will let ya know when the rifle is done [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]