Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Muzzle brake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 05:34 AM
Bronze Member

Muzzle brake

I just had a mini mag muscle brake installed on my 7mm rem mag. The question I have is I'm going to have to do load development again or if the recipe I have been using will shoot the same?
Old 06-23-2013, 07:26 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Muzzle brake

That's a great question. I would guess it will shoot very similar. Shoot a box of your proven load through it and compare it to before. If the results are similar, I wouldn't mess with it.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:18 AM
Silver Member

It really shouldn't effect it too much. You will most likely have to re-zero. Also you may find it could shoot better groups. It all depends on how true your crown was originally. The smith that installed you brake should have trued that up during the process of threading the barrel. In several cases I have seen factory rifles shoot better with a brake installed.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catch-34 View Post
I just had a mini mag muscle brake installed on my 7mm rem mag. The question I have is I'm going to have to do load development again or if the recipe I have been using will shoot the same?

A well installed brake should not hurt accuracy. It may change the harmonics and move the POI.

If it does some adjustments to your pet load may be necessary. (In most cases a few 10ths of a
grain + or - will do it.

Rarely will you have to abandon the load entirely.

If the brake is not installed properly allowing the bullet to strike the brake (It happens more often than you think)it can wreak havoc on accuracy.

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-23-2013, 01:41 PM
Platinum Member

Adding a muzzle break will defininetly change the resonant frequency of the barreled action, and therefore the harmonic frequency multiples thereof. It'll whip at a lower frequency with the weight on its muzzle. And that means bullets will leave at a different place in the muzzle's whip cycle.

Ideally, all the bullets should leave a little before the muzzle axis reaches its top; faster ones sooner than slower ones. If they leave a lot sooner, the only thing you may see is a bit more vertical shot stringing as the axis is changing its angle fastest at mid point in its swing arc.

We don't know where in your barrel's cycle bullets leave at. So, just shoot the darned thing and see what happens.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:53 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
A well installed brake should not hurt accuracy. It may change the harmonics and move the POI.

If it does some adjustments to your pet load may be necessary. (In most cases a few 10ths of a
grain + or - will do it.

Rarely will you have to abandon the load entirely.

If the brake is not installed properly allowing the bullet to strike the brake (It happens more often than you think)it can wreak havoc on accuracy.

J E CUSTOM
Good advise
Old 06-25-2013, 03:39 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully ill be able to get out this weekend and shoot.