Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Muscle Brake question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Gold Member

Re: Muscle Brake question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyboy View Post
guys just a few updates on what is going on with the Muscle brake, this page will give you cartrige descriptions/applications for the different sizes.

Center Shot Rifles - Products / Sales - Muzzle Brakes

The biggest problem I run into is guys with factory sporters and they end up with a barrel to small in dia. to fit the 5/8x24 tpi thread tennon, of the standard 3 port muscle brake.

2 choices, if the gun is a 30 cal of 300 wsm capacity or less the mini still works awsome on those sizes and smaller. (9/16 x 24 tpi) I have minis on my 308 and 7rsaum and they work great, I put one on a tikka T3 300 wsm and shot it, worked great. 338 don't even bother with the mini.

2nd option use one of the CSR brakes very simple common design but thread tennons to fit smaller barrels as you can see on the info page. recoil reduction on par with the muscle.

I have never said the Muscle brake is more effective at reducing recoil, But I do make the claim that it is the most user friendly and pleasant brake to shoot. And I have gotten enough feedback to say that it reduces recoil better than a Vias or a
JP. Read my testimonials for feedback.

NOW the NEW info/design. I have been working with Benchmark barrels as they have the conections to deliver the brake to Canada and Austrailia. They are the only other manf. licensed to Manf. the Muscle brakes to my specs on both materials and design.

What they have done is taken the 3 port slabbed brake and made it indexable by the user, they added a slot and a socket head capscrew into the design so a pre-existing barrel threaded 5/8x24 can have the brake screwed on and locked down, level, reaming or boring the brake for clearance is still needed. And may be a service they offer before shipping. You can call Chris at BenchMark Barrels for details.
I have one and will post up a pic tommorow.

On the sound output, I hesitate to make any claim, I have used a decible reader, and done some testing of braked and unbraked rifles. I recomend ear protection regaurdless of what you are shooting. I will only say this, In the past I have shot braked rifles forgetting to put plugs in. (even the muscle brake as you can see in the first shot on the youtube video.) If I ever do it again I hope it is with a Muscle brake.

You guys that use my brakes, I do thank You.
If I get an ER shaw barrel pre threaded can I send it to you to have it installed?

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Old 12-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Platinum Member

You would need to fit the barrel to the action, and mark top dead center, if you were just sending in the barrel that or leave the action on, with properly set headspace.
So that I could index it properly.
Currently due to work demands I will not be taking in brake jobs until may 1st, sorry but too many rifle builds scedualed for the winter.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Bronze Member

I put a mini on a 16" savage striker. using it with a rifle scope. I can see near full scope and it will not hit me, and there is no pressure back at you even with the muzzle so close to you. great product will get getting more for sure
Old 12-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyboy View Post
guys just a few updates on what is going on with the Muscle brake, this page will give you cartrige descriptions/applications for the different sizes.

Center Shot Rifles - Products / Sales - Muzzle Brakes

The biggest problem I run into is guys with factory sporters and they end up with a barrel to small in dia. to fit the 5/8x24 tpi thread tennon, of the standard 3 port muscle brake.

2 choices, if the gun is a 30 cal of 300 wsm capacity or less the mini still works awsome on those sizes and smaller. (9/16 x 24 tpi) I have minis on my 308 and 7rsaum and they work great, I put one on a tikka T3 300 wsm and shot it, worked great. 338 don't even bother with the mini.

2nd option use one of the CSR brakes very simple common design but thread tennons to fit smaller barrels as you can see on the info page. recoil reduction on par with the muscle.

I have never said the Muscle brake is more effective at reducing recoil, But I do make the claim that it is the most user friendly and pleasant brake to shoot. And I have gotten enough feedback to say that it reduces recoil better than a Vias or a
JP. Read my testimonials for feedback.

NOW the NEW info/design. I have been working with Benchmark barrels as they have the conections to deliver the brake to Canada and Austrailia. They are the only other manf. licensed to Manf. the Muscle brakes to my specs on both materials and design.

What they have done is taken the 3 port slabbed brake and made it indexable by the user, they added a slot and a socket head capscrew into the design so a pre-existing barrel threaded 5/8x24 can have the brake screwed on and locked down, level, reaming or boring the brake for clearance is still needed. And may be a service they offer before shipping. You can call Chris at BenchMark Barrels for details.
I have one and will post up a pic tommorow.

On the sound output, I hesitate to make any claim, I have used a decible reader, and done some testing of braked and unbraked rifles. I recomend ear protection regaurdless of what you are shooting. I will only say this, In the past I have shot braked rifles forgetting to put plugs in. (even the muscle brake as you can see in the first shot on the youtube video.) If I ever do it again I hope it is with a Muscle brake.

You guys that use my brakes, I do thank You.

Thanks Jim for chiming in. I have heard nothing but good things from your brakes. I especially like the idea of no blast delivered to the shooter. I have a varmint contour McGowan barrel on my 7RM, so it doesn't sound like the threading/sizing should be an issue. My plan, at this point, is to have a brake, stock/bedding, and recoil lug placed all at one time. No need in taking things apart a dozen times.
Thanks again.
Steve
Old 02-12-2013, 02:10 AM

Can't go wrong with an Holland!!