Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Muscle Brake question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 06:55 AM
Gold Member

Re: Muscle Brake question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZShooter View Post
To the original poster: You don't need a muzzle brake on a 7 Rem mag. While a few could argue that it would make your 7 Rem Mag a pussycat the recoil is so low as to not warrant one. The trade off will be hearing loss PERIOD. Even if you use plugs and muffs the brake will get through. No point in doing that for a rifle that has reasonable recoil. Maybe when you make a 408 CheyTac or some other monster rifle get the brake. My opinion.
Are you serious?
Old 11-29-2011, 09:18 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
If it's already threaded and you're a DIY kinda guy, then it's not difficult.

Call Jim at CSR tomorrow and he'll point you in the right direction.

-- richard
Thanks! I'm a couple months off, waiting on my stock to arrive. Should be a hoot. I'm gonna cerakoate it, lap the lugs etc. Once I get 50 rounds down range If I get to 1/2 MOA I'm stopping there. If not Ill have the action trued.

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Old 11-29-2011, 09:19 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRNA View Post
Are you serious?
I'm all about breaks. Heck I'd use one on a .223. It's not recoil pain it's follow up shots that im interested in.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:50 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe0121 View Post
I'm all about breaks. Heck I'd use one on a .223. It's not recoil pain it's follow up shots that im interested in.
Thats exactly my point. I can shoot my 13+lb 7RM for 50 rounds in a session with a tshirt on and never be uncomfortable. I recently realized how nice low recoil can be shooting a friends gun.
I know they are loud. I would probably take the brake off to hunt with since I don't hunt with earplugs.
I have no problem with the fact that hearing loss would occur if shooting a braked gun and no protection.
I seriously question the poster that claims that there would be hearing loss while shooting a braked gun with both ear plugs and muffs.
And if so, then the Cheytac would blow the shooters ears off their head with a brake. Not sure how solid the logic is behind that post.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:54 AM
Silver Member

I use the 3 port slabbed musclebrake with top ports on my EDGE rifles and am really happy with them.You don"t get the concussion in your face.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:07 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraedge View Post
I use the 3 port slabbed musclebrake with top ports on my EDGE rifles and am really happy with them.You don"t get the concussion in your face.
Good to know. I will have to look into them. I don't like the idea of the shock wave hitting me.
I have read that Vais brakes are quieter, but they will kick up a good bit of dust and dirt.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:20 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRNA View Post
Thats exactly my point. I can shoot my 13+lb 7RM for 50 rounds in a session with a tshirt on and never be uncomfortable. I recently realized how nice low recoil can be shooting a friends gun.
I know they are loud. I would probably take the brake off to hunt with since I don't hunt with earplugs.
I have no problem with the fact that hearing loss would occur if shooting a braked gun and no protection.
I seriously question the poster that claims that there would be hearing loss while shooting a braked gun with both ear plugs and muffs.
And if so, then the Cheytac would blow the shooters ears off their head with a brake. Not sure how solid the logic is behind that post.
I've been in the Military, Marine Corps. And during my service I served on a Machine gun team, and gunner in Iraq. All I ever wore was the cheapo foam ear plugs. Sometimes none at all if I was on the radio. I ran the M2 and 240G and have some hearing loss obviously. I have also been on several helo's and c130 without ear plugs. So I know a thing or two about hearing loss as a result of fire arms. i've used everything from MRE toilette paper to cigarette buts (gross i know but better than being deaf at 21) in a pinch

If you wear a set of gel style ear plugs
http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Protection-Earplugs-Standard/dp/B0044DEESS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1322579658&sr=8-3
and decent ear muffs:
http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-01526-Electronic-Earmuff/dp/B001T7QJ9O/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1322579720&sr=1-4
I couldn't see any civilian small arm giving you issue with hearing loss.

For hunting if you have the coin they make what amount to a hearing aid, it amplifies certain sounds and if a noise above a certain level say 80DB it blocks it. Really spendy but i wish I had known about it when I was in Iraq. From what I understand a lot of spec ops units have them now.
In-Ear Hunting Hearing Aids - Speech Enhancement

To say putting a break on a weapon will result in hearing loss even with quality hearing protection is preposterous at best.