Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Muscle Brake question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 08:46 PM
Gold Member

Muscle Brake question

Been looking into putting a brake on my 7RM after hunting season. I was looking at various websites of muzzle brake manufacturers and saw the site that offers the Muscle Brake. Question is: would it be completely ridiculous to put a 4 port magnum Muscle Brake on my gun? It looks like it may be the one that would decrease the recoil the most, but is it overkill?

Also, any other opinions of what brakes to look at? I want something that is going to really drop recoil, and preferably do it without throwing a shovelful of dirt in the air when shooting prone. I have heard that some brakes are quieter than others, but I wonder how "quiet" any brake could really be.

I have never owned a braked gun, so I'm completely in the dark. I know a lot of guys on here do use them though, so I'm counting on y'alls experience.
Thanks
Steve
Old 11-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Muscle Brake question

I have several different brakes on various rifles. My 2 favorites are CSR and Holland.

I have a 3 port CSR Muscle Brake on my 300WM and it works nicely.

I also like the Holland QD brake a lot on my 6.5x284. But, I can't draw a fair comparison between them.

Most of the gases escape from the 1st port and some from the 2nd and 3rd. I've been told by some mfgs that the 4th port is mostly because some guys subscribe to the more is better theory.

As a general rule, the more effective a brake is, the more noise it makes. But, some brakes do a better job of diverting some of the noise away from the shooter.

-- richard
Old 11-28-2011, 11:12 PM
Gold Member

I want a muscle break for my .308. how hard would it be to install if the barrel is already threaded. Whats involved in timing it.

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Old 11-28-2011, 11:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe0121 View Post
I want a muscle break for my .308. how hard would it be to install if the barrel is already threaded. Whats involved in timing it.
Measure the thread size and pitch on your barrel. Then, call Center Shot Rifles and verify that he has what you need.

You can install it by hand and use a file or belt sander etc to time it or just use spacers.

In anycase, you'll need the bore of the brake reamed to .020-.030" over your caliber.

The cost of installation by a good smith is far less than the cost of messing it up if you don't have the right tools.

-- richard
Old 11-29-2011, 12:08 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
Measure the thread size and pitch on your barrel. Then, call Center Shot Rifles and verify that he has what you need.

You can install it by hand and use a file or belt sander etc to time it or just use spacers.

In anycase, you'll need the bore of the brake reamed to .020-.030" over your caliber.

The cost of installation by a good smith is far less than the cost of messing it up if you don't have the right tools.

-- richard
Not so much the cost it's the time. Only one smith within 50 miles of me and hes like 80 years old it's at least a month wait for about anything. Plus this is a DIY build from the word go so I want to do as much as I can on my own.

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Old 11-29-2011, 12:20 AM
Platinum Member

If it's already threaded and you're a DIY kinda guy, then it's not difficult.

Call Jim at CSR tomorrow and he'll point you in the right direction.

-- richard
Old 11-29-2011, 06:40 AM
Platinum Member

To the original poster: You don't need a muzzle brake on a 7 Rem mag. While a few could argue that it would make your 7 Rem Mag a pussycat the recoil is so low as to not warrant one. The trade off will be hearing loss PERIOD. Even if you use plugs and muffs the brake will get through. No point in doing that for a rifle that has reasonable recoil. Maybe when you make a 408 CheyTac or some other monster rifle get the brake. My opinion.