Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Mullerworks barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2013, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

Mullerworks barrels

Has anyone out there used these barrels, and if so, what is your conclusion?.......thanks/rich
Old 12-14-2013, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Mullerworks barrels

I've not used them but talked to Greg at SPR about them. He indicates that they're great barrels. I've been tempted to try one. He makes a 6.5 in 8 twist 3 groove. I am a fan of three groove barrels on throat burners. Take all if this with a grain of salt as I have no direct knowledge, just what I've heard. I do know that they are button barrels. Pushed or pulled I don't know.

Try one and let us know!!

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
I've not used them but talked to Greg at SPR about them. He indicates that they're great barrels. I've been tempted to try one. He makes a 6.5 in 8 twist 3 groove. I am a fan of three groove barrels on throat burners. Take all if this with a grain of salt as I have no direct knowledge, just what I've heard. I do know that they are button barrels. Pushed or pulled I don't know.

Try one and let us know!!
Thanks Michael! I read on their website (SPR) that he said you would not be disappointed, but would also like to hear some first hand reports. I agree with 3 groovers for barrel burners. I had one on a 300 rum that lasted pretty well. It was a 3 groove Lilja. I also have a 3 groove, 8 twist Lilja on my 6.5 Sherman which has around 1700 rounds through it and still shoots well.
By the way, rumor has it that there will be a new state of the art barrel maker in Spokane........Rich
Old 12-15-2013, 09:23 AM
Silver Member

I have one in 6.5 SAUM. Awesome bbls. Break in is easy and shoots great, would buy another in a heartbeat.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPGfan View Post
I have one in 6.5 SAUM. Awesome bbls. Break in is easy and shoots great, would buy another in a heartbeat.
What twist and grove? Thanks CPG..........Rich

p.s. How do you like the SAUM? What kind of velocities/groups do you get........
Old 12-15-2013, 11:55 AM
Silver Member

I had ordered an 8 twist 3 groove but after I got the saum chambered I noticed it was a 4 groove. The blank was mismarked in the breech end. I let dan at mullerworks know and he shipped me out the correct barrel out right away. Great customer service. I haven't chambered it up yet but will soon.

I love the SAUM. I'm running the 140 JLK's at 3180 with very mild pressure. If I do my part it will shoot in the .2's-.3's at 100 and I have shot several sub half moa groups at 1050. I've played with the 160's a bit and they seem to shoot well too. I haven't shot them since the bbl was brand new and they were running right at 3000 fps and the 140's were running 3140 so I suspect the 160's will be around 3040ish now. I may have to test them out on a moose in the Yukon in the near future.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPGfan View Post
I had ordered an 8 twist 3 groove but after I got the saum chambered I noticed it was a 4 groove. The blank was mismarked in the breech end. I let dan at mullerworks know and he shipped me out the correct barrel out right away. Great customer service. I haven't chambered it up yet but will soon.

I love the SAUM. I'm running the 140 JLK's at 3180 with very mild pressure. If I do my part it will shoot in the .2's-.3's at 100 and I have shot several sub half moa groups at 1050. I've played with the 160's a bit and they seem to shoot well too. I haven't shot them since the bbl was brand new and they were running right at 3000 fps and the 140's were running 3140 so I suspect the 160's will be around 3040ish now. I may have to test them out on a moose in the Yukon in the near future.
Sounds very similar to my 6.5 SS velocity wise. Good luck on that moose. Those 160's will do the job. What powder are you using?......Rich