Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Most accurate out of the box rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 10:01 AM
Silver Member

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle

tikka or model 70 all day! both are fantastic out of the box rifles! both come in several configurations, and both are great deals for the quality one gets.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
(most accurate out of the box)......

For someone with numerous Savages, I have to disagree and I disagree with Tikka as well, in fact I disagree with all the previous recommendations. Savages are accurate to a point but they take some fiddling with IMO,

The most accurate rifle out of the box is the one you pay the most for because your dollars deliver the accuracy, reliability and reduced fiddle factor.

You usually get what you pay for. Don't expect World Class competiton accuracy from a cheap rifle, it's not going to happen (out of the box).

The original question was most accurate out of the box for under 1000.00 thats why I say Savage.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:31 PM
Silver Member

Don't count out the Weatherby Vanguard, folks. It's no slouch in the accuracy department, especially the Sub-MOA versions. I have a basic Vanguard SS (not Sub-MOA) and it would quite easily shoot better than MOA out of the box with factory ammo. The only big problem with it is that it comes with a pressure-bedded barrel so it's not a great choice for long range prone shots, and the synthetic stock it comes with is far too flimsy to free float. If you want it to float, buy a different stock. I got a Boyds' Laminate Thumbhole.

BUT if I were in the same situation, I'd probably get a Savage 110 heavy barrel. I don't know about the States, but here in Canada the price of Tikkas has skyrocketed in the last few years, but that would also be a choice.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:31 AM

Well, I have spent a lot of money on custom rifles and I have to say, if I was buying a new rifle, I would probably buy a Savage given the price... where can you get a machined to print rifle with a good trigger and bedding for that kind of money? I have become a Savage convert... I think they are the best right now...
Old 09-16-2012, 08:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vendetta333 View Post
tikka or model 70 all day! both are fantastic out of the box rifles! both come in several configurations, and both are great deals for the quality one gets.
mmmmmmmm model 70 :P I haven't seen great accuracy out of em without a bedding job and polishing of the trigger. But for just a good damn hunting rifle that just works..... I have a soft spot for em
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 09-16-2012, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverdoctor View Post
Well, I have spent a lot of money on custom rifles and I have to say, if I was buying a new rifle, I would probably buy a Savage given the price... where can you get a machined to print rifle with a good trigger and bedding for that kind of money? I have become a Savage convert... I think they are the best right now...
Well said and welcome to the dark side.

Just a testament of why they did kicked azz ...

as Team Savage Wraps Up 2010 Long-Range Season in Dominant Fashion>>> Savage Arms

and

and

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member

I would go with Savage also., in fact, I'm kinda dealing with that right now. I have four heavy barreled rifles that shoot sub .5" with their respective hand loads, all with factory tubes. These are (1) Remington Sendero SF in .25-06Rem., (2) Winchester 70 HVB in .243Win., (3) Savage 112 in .300WinMag., and (4) Savage 12 in 6.5-284Norma (barrel stamped "12" but it is a long action).
Contemplating getting another Savage that I just ran across the other day. It's a model 12 LRP in .243Win. I don't need it but man I do want it. JohnnyK.