Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Most accurate out of the box rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 10:45 PM

Most accurate out of the box rifle

Hey everyone I'm new to the site.

I'm looking to buy a new long range rifle that i will be using for coyotes and whitetails, and would like to be able to take shots up to 600 yards.
Ive narrowed it down to a .25-06 caliber but I don't know which brand and what model to choose. Ive looked at the Remington 700 sps long range, the weatherby vanguard synthetic, savage, tikka, and I just cant figure out which one is the most accurate so please help me pick the right rifle!!!

ps: for under $1000
Old 09-13-2012, 11:24 PM
Gold Member

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle

savage or tikka will be the best out of the box. Savage will be the easiest to make even better. Remington will be the easiest to pay someone else to make as good. All are capable of good accuracy out to 600 with good optics and ammo. The weatherby would be the least desirable for building up. The tikka will be the smoothest and might even edge out the savage depending on the individual rifle but has a very limited aftermarket. If you can handle the tikka, savage and remington, take your pic. I would go with the tikka if I had no upgrade plans and the savage if I wanted to customize. The remington if I wanted to dump insane money into a rifle.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:35 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Check this out >>> Right Out Of The Box----

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:45 AM
Gold Member

Savage...
Old 09-14-2012, 07:31 AM
Platinum Member

Sako Tikka Savage
Old 09-14-2012, 07:34 AM
Silver Member

Sako, if not Tikka!! The above referenced poll puts Savage in the lead only because Savage is at the majoritys price point so thats what they own and brag on. Sako is very accurate out of the box with premium factory ammo and will need no after market add on's or "tweeking". Tikka has the same barrels as Sako but a cheaper action set up. If you can't afford a new Sako lightly used ones can be found in your price range. My .02!
Old 09-14-2012, 07:42 AM
Platinum Member

+1 on the Savage, Tikka and Sako. Sako's are nice friggin rifles, I've seen more than a few Tikka's with walnut stocks that where just beautiful rifles. My vote if your not planning on doing much more than a bedding job and trigger tune up, Tikka for the money, and looks.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe