Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Which is most accurate out-of-box?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 10:32 AM

Which is most accurate out-of-box?

I'd like to hear your thoughts on a highly accurate out-of-box fine production rifle, with (I won't lie) a little bit of wow factor, chambered in 7mm STW, .300 Win Mag, or .300 RUM. I'd like to stay under $4,500.00. I've been looking at Coopers and Blaser, but am certainly open to other makes.

Would also like to hear your thoughts on suggested calibers / accuracy for long range big game.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Gold Member

Re: Which is most accurate out-of-box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvcg1 View Post
I'd like to hear your thoughts on a highly accurate out-of-box fine production rifle, with (I won't lie) a little bit of wow factor, chambered in 7mm STW, .300 Win Mag, or .300 RUM. I'd like to stay under $4,500.00. I've been looking at Coopers and Blaser, but am certainly open to other makes.

Would also like to hear your thoughts on suggested calibers / accuracy for long range big game.

Holy Crow! An out-of-box for under $4,500. You should be inundated with responses with that price. Im partial to my TRG-42 but you left the heavy 338s out of the equation.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

get a sling-shot, they are way more economical, and you can even find ammo for it... save the dolares for taxes...
Old 04-07-2013, 05:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Unless you re-load I'd get the win. If you do reload use your savings and buy all three ( I have and use all three). Just tell your gal that you are doing the same with rifles as she does with shoes.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:50 PM
Gold Member

For that money, I would likely have one built to my specifications.

But for out of the box.....maybe McMillan EOL ....See McMillan EOL Outdoorsman Long Range Rifle
When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Platinum Member

If you are looking for a tactical type long range rig, have one built. If you want something more classically styled, I am a huge fan of the coopers. You can go totally nuts for $4500 and basically have a one of a kind show rifle with a bunch of embellishments. Or you can get some really nice upgrades, throw some nice glass on, and still hit your budget.

I had one built last year in 280AI, french walnut, custom LOP, fluted bolt. I have no buyers remorse. My first set of load development yielded several .35ish groups (3-shot) and the worst was .64. Not a bad place to start!

I'm jealous of your toy budget!
Old 04-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

Too bad Cooper is an Obama fan to the extreme. Hope they go under!!!!