Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Most accurate long range hunting bullet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2010, 10:27 PM

Most accurate long range hunting bullet

Hello All,

I am attempting to work up a load for my 300 WSM, I have discovered that my gun just doesn't like barns bullets, what is the most accurate long range hunting bullet out there?
Old 10-31-2010, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Most accurate long range hunting bullet

In the rifles I've shot if they didn't like an Accubond they had serious problems, for some reason they shoot real well for me. The Gameking would be next on my short list.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 11-01-2010, 06:38 AM
Platinum Member

there never is just "one" bullet for all guns. It depends on what your gun likes.

Bergers, JLKs tend to be as good as you can find for an out of the box bullets.

JLKs are J4 jackets so quite good for hunting also.

Accubonds, Sierras, Hornady SSTs, Interlocks all work well in the right combo for many guns.

BH
Old 11-01-2010, 08:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbradford71 View Post
Hello All,

I am attempting to work up a load for my 300 WSM, I have discovered that my gun just doesn't like barns bullets, what is the most accurate long range hunting bullet out there?

There are quite a few good "Hunting" bullets available and you will just have to see which
one your rifle likes.

I use a lot of ballistic tips and Accubonds with good success. The ballistic tips work well at
extended distances (500 yards+) and the accubonds do well at all distances if driven
fast enough(They are a little tougher than the Ballistic tip).

There are more accurate bullets but they are for paper and don't always give me the results
I want.

J E CUSTOM
Old 11-01-2010, 08:33 AM
Platinum Member

Ballistic tips do really well. They have the reputation as the most accurate hunting bullet. The Accubond is a ballistic tip with a bonded core essentially/generally speaking.

In one of my rifles, the 180 accubond has been stellar, especially when pushed fast. In another, the 150 VLD has exceeded all expectations, in yet another, the 150 btip has produced 4 one hole groups with 3-4 shots at 100 yards.

Despite all of my different bullet experience, in all hunting situations that I've been in, if I had to choose only 1 make of bullet, It would be the Accubond.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:49 AM
Silver Member

give the amax range a try ? they are especially good at long range , i use the 6.5 140 in my 260 the 168 308 in my 308 and the 208 in my 300 rum never had a problem that wasn't down to me not hitting the right bit !
Old 11-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Silver Member

So far my 300 rum really likes the 200 grain accubond. Enough so that I have yet to work up a load with the 208 A-MAX's and 190 Bergers that I have.

‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’ — Richard Henry Lee, 1787