Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Most accurate hunting bullet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2004, 05:20 PM
Bronze Member

Most accurate hunting bullet

Im looking for a bullet to try in my new 270 WSM. I want to use the most accurate non-premium hunting buller there is. I dont need any bonded or partitioned or anything, since it will just be for deer, and i dont want any paper punching type bullets like matchking. My max range will probably be about 300 yrds. I want a 130 gr. bullet.

What characteristics should i go for, or stay away from. I know boattails have higher B.C.s but are they usually more accurate? How about the polymer tip? How about a canalure?

I have heard and actually seen that the regular old cheap plain flatbase softpoint hornady interlock bullets are hard to be for accuracy as a hunting bullet as long as there will be no extreme range shots. What is yalls experience? I was also thinking about the hornady SST since its the same bullet only ads the plastic tip and boat tail, but have had old-timers tell me to just go with the regular interlock. I have also looked at the nosler ballistic tip, but it is alittle more expensive. i just wanna know what the most accurate one will be.

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:09 PM
Gold Member

Re: Most accurate hunting bullet

Sorry, but the mighty Sierra Match King is the bullet your looking for, friend.
Iam sure others here will respond in kind..LOL [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I also like the Barnes TSX bullets. IF your rifle will shoot them. So do, some dont...sakofan..
Old 04-04-2004, 06:25 PM

SMKS get my vote
Old 04-04-2004, 06:31 PM
Gold Member

I would try the Hornady 130 SST. We just shot them a few hours ago in my dads 270 WSM and they shoot great. My dad has used a SST in his 300 win mag for the last two years and My buddy has used them in his 7MM STW also. All the deer they have shot ranging anywhere from 25 yards to 500 yards dropped in their tracks with one shot. They seem to hold up real well even at close shots and for $18.00 for a box of 100 I dont think you can go wrong. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-04-2004, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member

Jon

Sirra Gameking.

One observation though; You're not interested in using a SMK on Deer but, you consider the poly tip rapid expanding bullets? I'm going out on a limb here maybe, but the non-bonded poly tip bullets are probably less effective at holding up than the SMK is...
Old 04-04-2004, 06:59 PM
Silver Member

I've had great success with the Nosler Ballistic tips and Combined Technolgy Ballistic Silver Tips. They both have high BCs and are very devastating on any game. On larger game, trust the partition to get the job done. As far Match bullets for hunting deer, they will kill, but my experience with Sierra MKs, I would not recommend. However, interesting enough Hornady Amax's have worked for me on whitetail with very good results.
Are you Reloading or Buying Factory Ammo?
Old 04-04-2004, 08:04 PM
Bronze Member

I'm handloading, and yes i looked at amax but at least in the recent cabelas shooting catalog i have they dont offer one in 270 at all, and i imagine if they did it would be heavier than 130, maybe 135 like matchking which would be fine but i wouldnt want any heavier.

Another question...

You mentioned the CT Ballistic Silver tips...

I bought 4 boxes of those in factory loads, mostly for the brass and have shot about 1 1/2. The accuracy is about an inch so far, but....

I am worried about the moly coating. I have read of moly buildup in barrels destroying accuracy. I have been brushing with solvent every 3 shots or so since i got it, and i will definately stop using moly coated bullets once my four boxes are empty, but will harm my barrel shooting all of these? Should i keep cleaning frequently until theyre all shot up? Should i use some cleaning compound like JBs to try to get it all out?

Thanks.