Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

mosin nagant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: mosin nagant

what are you shooting at??
Old 09-22-2013, 08:43 PM
Gold Member

This gun is just all around fun. I shoot it at steel between 500 @ 750 yards mostly, but I do hunt with it a lot too. Killed a doe, coyote, and buck with it in that order in the last 2 years. Missed a doe one day. That's the only 4 animals I've shot at with it. Shortly after the buck kill I cut and coated the barrel with Alumahyde. Here's the buck. Heartshot. 345 yards.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
mosin nagant-image.jpg  
Old 09-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Platinum Member

A lot of US shooters don't seem to realize this, but the 7.62x54R (or 7.62x53R for the Finns) are extremely accurate cartridges. Inherently at least as accurate, and possibly a bit more so than our own 7.62x51/308 Win. The guns themselves get a bad rap, but remember that a lot of them were wartime production and produced under some pretty harsh conditions. Those that were properly assembled, with well machined parts can be some serious shooters. Since there is substantial variation in the bores of the different productions, it pays to do a little research and measuring before you start loading for one of these rifles. Do that, and you may be surprised at just what sort of performance you can get out of the Mosin-Nagant.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:07 PM

I agree the rifle and the round is awesome. I think it got a bad rap because the mil surplus ammo in its natural state shots horible my rifle is a 1943 production non sniper with the regular ball i get 3 to 5 MOA when I reload i get the results that I poasted on another thread.

My most accurate hunting load is Privi brass Large rifle primers 44GR H4895 180GR Sierra Game King .311 at 2519FPS it shoots tighter than .5MOA consistently. When I Top it off with a 174 Match king it is a little tighter still . No pressure signs but it works well and is fast enough so I don't load any hotter.

MY FAVORITE LOADS is simply taking apart Russian Mill surplus Ball ammo. I dump Out the Powder remeasure to 44.2GR and top it off with a 180GR Sierra Game king. I get .5 or a little bigger. at 2500 FPS.. I like this load because it is faster to load Cheap and just fun. I have gotten no pressure signs. I am planning on loading up to 46GR next time. The same load at 42.8Gr of powder gave me .25 MOA at 2375 FPS. Be careful with this one because there is no load data on the powder it seems to act like IMR-4895, it took me more time working with loads to get good groups with this.

A fun reduced load is SR 4759 22.5gr with a 180GR Sierra game king .311 at 1775 FPS this gives me .5 to .25 MOA and kicks a little harder than a 22lr all my loads are just off the lands at 2.8 OAL
As far as the stock it is solid but a little rough on the wood work. Mine sits a little sideways down the channel it took me a little fitting but now it is straight and fits well. I will let you know how it shoots.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:11 PM

Alright got out to the range with the Mosin in its new stock twice now. First time I had not done any fitting work to it and was getting consistent 1 MOA. 2nd time I went Was after bedding the stock.. I was not planning on going to the range but had some loads left over. I shot two, three shot groups both times I pulled the second shot and had the first and third shot touching. This was at 100 M using accurized surplus ball. Next time I hope to post a picture really showing what this rifle can do..

I also accurized a buddies mosin just started working on a load for that one and shot consistent 1 MOA with two 5 shot groups, not bad for the firs time out. He has his in a ATI stock with an ATI mount. Bushnell Ellette 10x Mill to Mill
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
mosin nagant-mosingroup.jpg   mosin nagant-mosinafter.jpg  

Old 11-10-2013, 09:20 PM

It is a little rough on the finishing work. took me about an hour with a whittling knife and sand paper to get it to fit well. after bedding it worked great.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:50 PM
Gold Member

Great work. Looks like she's shooting great. You should share that gun over on SOCAMO. It's a website for mosin owners and mosin modders. I'm going to try some of this surplus accurising. I have a lot of surplus ammo but it doesn't shoot accurate for me. 4-6" at 100 yards