Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

More Terminal Performance Tests - Introduction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2008, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member

More Terminal Performance Tests - Introduction

This post is to let you know that I'm not sitting on my duff.

Descriptive wise, those damn'd Bergers continue to amaze me. I down loaded a 150 VLD. When I found the bullet it lacked only 2" of penetrating the full 24". It deviated from a straight line by only 3" in 22". Hmmmmmmm.

I also fired one reduced load with a 338 280gr HAT. It litterly blew my "box" apart. I found the aluminum tip at the 12" mark. Spatter on the upper part of the container shows that big things happened at about 14". I sifted, sorted and squeezed every cubic inch of the media and could not find any of the expended bullet other than the tip which with a little straightening could be used again. Neither could I find remains of several HATs shot into the blow sand back stop. I even took the front off of the back stop and spread the sand on card board and found nothing. It has been very difficult finding remains of the HATs.

I filled a plastic waste basket with loose, dry blow sand in an attempt to isolate the bullets to a more manageable quantity of media. My first test was a 277 Nosler 150 Ballistic Tip. It's was pretty comical. The remains of the jacket was laying on top of the sand only 2" from the front edge. MV was 3450 and the basket was at 200 yards. That was a pretty quick turn. :confused: Talk about disapointing.

A reduced load with a 338 300gr SMK was next. The remains were easy to find. Just dig down and follow the heat. When I touched somehing and it burned my finger tip I found a knarly looking jacket.

The HAT's performance was similar to the SMK. Nothing remaining except a knarly portion of the jacket.

The HAT's jacket is very soft compared to the SMK. I can flex the HAT's shrapnel but will cut a finger and not be able bend the SMK's.

As pigs are hard to come by around here, I'm testing a new media that so far is very friendly in every way except for finding the bullet remains. A metal detector may be in order.

The initial report is that the media works very well so far. The container allows for a 24" bullet travel. Of the two shots so far there are no exit wounds.

I'll include pics in next update.

BTW, the elk are bugeling out back and its tough to concentrate on much.

Last edited by royinidaho; 09-06-2008 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:16 AM
Platinum Member

Re: More Terminal Performance Tests - Introduction

Oh sure, you get us going again and then NO PICS and now we have to wait for "the rest of the story".;)

Looking forward to seeing what you're up to over there in spud land now.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:32 AM
Platinum Member

Jeez, don't you sleep?

Spud harvest has started and I'm chasing yield monitors trying to make a buck.:( Plus took some aerial photos this morning. Seems there are some strange things going in some of those spud fields. No crop circles yet.....

Nite - nite. Sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:37 AM
Platinum Member

Strange things going on over here too. The drug cops are having a record year pulling "wacky tobacky" plants out of the grape fields and corn fields.;);)

They sure are making some "entrepeneurs" very unhappy, and broke. But at least some of the unhappy "farmers" are getting a free vacation courtesy of Uncle Sam.;)

Waiting patiently on the next installation.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

Roy, i had similar results with the HAT's. i think they come apart easier than the SMK's. my first impression was i wouldn't want to use them on elk.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the update Roy. Sound like that media is working ok. Will be intersted in hearing more results at longer ranges. Anyone tested the .308 cal bullets yet? I would be up to it if Icould get some.

As for the bullets exploding, whether it's a Berger, SMK, or HAT my plan would be to use them at ranges greater than 500-600 yds and more controlled expansion bullets at less than that. I know some of you guys like the Bergers at close ranges as well, but I'm not totally sold on that. I might experiment on antelope. It's good to be able to shoot 3 antelope per season here.

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 09-05-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Anyone tested the .308 cal bullets yet? I would be up to it if Icould get some.
I've got some 210's I won't be using (my rifle doesn't seem to like them) if you're interested.