Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

More dissappointment in some "great manufacturers".

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Gold Member

Re: More dissappointment in some "great manufacturers".

I've got the same rifle, more or less. A fluted Varmint. I got it about 15 years ago. It didn't shoot factory ammo very well and was kind of picky about reloads but it likes 52 grain Sierra flat base bullets and IMR 4064 powder. It won't shoot boat tails or bullets that are very heavy or light. It needed, and got, a trigger job. I never considered it a 500 yard gun due to the wind pushing my shots around but I've busted many coyotes with it.

Your friend will greatly benefit from the effort of reloading. I would even guess he will never be satisfied until he does. As mentioned earlier, he should probably rethink his heavy reticle scope decision. Since he won't take any advice, you may offer to mount one of your Vortex scopes on it and let him shoot it. Changing scopes will then become his idea. He can also send his scope to Leopold and get the reticle changed to a fine reticle if he doesn't want to buy a new scope.

I'm not sure what to think about the gunsmith shooting that rifle in the 1's but duplicating those groups seems quite optimistic.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Bronze Member

I had a 'older model' Remington 700 sporter in 7mm Rem mag that would shoot 150 factory Remington shells into a 8 inch circle. It turns out that it also shoots 175 gr reloads into 3/4 of an inch. I am serious, while this is an extreme case I sure there are others that have experienced the same.

Jerry
Old 09-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM H View Post
I'm having hard time understanding if he paid to have load development done and groups in the .1's why isn't he shooting reloads and didn't the gunsmith talk to him about the difference in factory vs reloads as to accuracy. what scope did the gunsmith use?
He still hasn't purchased all his reloading equipment yet, otherwise he'd be shooting the load recipe the gunsmith gave him, although it won't help much with his shooting skills.

The smith used the Zeiss scope for load testing. I believe it was a Conquest 6.5-20X44.

I already showed him my Vortex scopes, and offered to mount one and let him try it, even buy it off me but he refused. He just. doesn't. get. it.

I wish I could stop hunting/shooting with this guy but this is one of those awkward friend-of-the-family situations where I really can't escape.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:15 PM
Silver Member

Nonetheless, my main point is that you should NEVER be able to see that the crown/muzzle of a barrel isn't true. I can accept that all manufacturers have screwups, but if it's that obvious it should not have left the factory.

If this was a cheap Stevens, Mossberg, H&R, or something that cost 300 bucks I'd be OK if the crown wasn't totally square, but on a higher-end Remington varmint rifle that just isn't acceptable.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:19 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskShooter View Post
I wish I could stop hunting/shooting with this guy but this is one of those awkward friend-of-the-family situations where I really can't escape.
Oh well... those guys need a friend too.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:34 PM
Bronze Member

After he watches you shoot great groups with your guns, maybe he will see the problem with his gun . Then he will want to improve and take your advise.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskShooter View Post
He still hasn't purchased all his reloading equipment yet, otherwise he'd be shooting the load recipe the gunsmith gave him, although it won't help much with his shooting skills.

The smith used the Zeiss scope for load testing. I believe it was a Conquest 6.5-20X44.
Same scope I have on both of my longest range rifles. 4-14 Conquest on my "closer in" rifles