The Media I selected is working very well.
*Very light until moistened.
*Does not absorb water but gets wet, if that makes sense.
*Can be moistened to any degree desired. (I used a garden moisture meter to maintain consistency)
*24" will stop a 300 SMK impacting at 2175 FPS.
*Is a great oil/chemical spill absorbent.
*Will last for years depending upon how much is spilled during use.
*Rinses off hands very easily. (Keep a jug of water handys)
* 1.5 cubic feet is enough for most LR/VLD, velocity for range testing.
* Dirty until moistened
This is a real problem with rapidly expanding large bullets like the 300 SMK. I screwed a box together that I thought was very solid, which turned out to be the problem.
A 150 Berger mentioned in the Introduction had no affect on the box at all.
A 280 HAT at some unknown velocity opened the box severely.
I then rebuild and reinforced it extensively.
A 300 SMK hit it at 2175 FPS and completely destroyed it.
I spent the next several hours redesigning the whole idea.
The secret is "use no screws whatever". I drew my inspiration from the design of an Elk's rib cage.
The new construction worked very well. I was able to conduct 4 bullet tests in about 45 minutes.
Seeing as how bullet spin is a non-factor, per other threads, I used reduced loads to simulate downrange velocities.
Part 3 will show the effectiveness of the media.
For most applications a 3 foot length of heavy walled plastic pipe will be sufficient. For those that must have the media out towards 1K I have no idea of what to use. Thus I put the media immediately behind the chrono.
Link to Introduction: More Terminal Performance Tests - Introduction