Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

More 338 EDGE advice please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Silver Member

Re: More 338 EDGE advice please

Shooting it single shot seems like a cop out or bandaid, its designed to be a repeater and being forced to load it singleshot is my least favorite option. It bothers my that I spent soo much time on the phone talking to the guy, explaining what I wanted and if any questions while they were setting it up to call my cell and I'll answer them immediatly and I get a .313" jump to the lands.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brambles View Post
Shooting it single shot seems like a cop out or bandaid, its designed to be a repeater and being forced to load it singleshot is my least favorite option. It bothers my that I spent soo much time on the phone talking to the guy, explaining what I wanted and if any questions while they were setting it up to call my cell and I'll answer them immediatly and I get a .313" jump to the lands.
I agree. I would have it rethroated correctly with a Wyatt's Box. Making it a single shot would be like having a 4x4 truck with the front driveshaft removed and then saying just stay out of the mud.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:05 PM
Gold Member

Having a single shot long range rifle is no handi cap, who rapid fires long range shots? It is very fast to drop another round in and close the bolt. But I do understand you wanting it the way you intended.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:37 AM
Silver Member

Brambles
With a little tweaking you will be able to load the CFE9 from the top.
It will never be as easy as the staggered box, as you have to force the round between the feed lips. The wider the gap, the easier they go in but too wide and they will pop back out from the spring pressure. It helps if you roll the cartridge as you press down.
The downside of the CFE9 to me is the length of the follower and the size of the opening that can be achieved with BDL bottom metal. There is a bit of a compromise compared to the factory set up.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:25 AM
Silver Member

Well it's been a long wait but the rifle was shipped back to me yesterday, looking forward to shooting it again and getting results.

as per their direction I wrote a letter outlining exactly how I wanted it set up,

-Barrel setback and re throated for a 300 gr Berger touching the lands at 3.97"
Which ment re indexing the barrel for the Holland QD
-4" Wyatt box installed and the necessary work to make it operate smoothly
-Stiller style ejection port milled in.
-clean up some annoying factory machining marks
-re bead blasting
-re engraving cartridge on barrel

MAN I'm getting excited. Still snow at some of my LR shooting spots but I guess load development needs to be redone so no biggie!